Z Battery Crewe Toll
A World War II anti-aircraft Z-Battery was sited at Crewe Toll, north west of Edinburgh, approximately 100 metres southeast of the Crewe Toll roundabout on the south side of Ferry Road. Site number EZ2. The battery was installed to provide protection for Ferranti's newly built Crewe Toll factory, on the north side of Ferry Road.
The Z-Battery was armed with rocket launchers rather than heavy guns, and record indicate that this battery was equipped with 61 U2P unrotating twin barrelled launchers, GL Radar Mk II, and an accommodation camp containing small huts to the west. Aerial photographs taken by the RAF in 1943 show the battery under construction, while similar photographs taken during 1941 show no evidence of the battery.
The battery was manned by the Home Guard.
There are no surviving remains of the battery, which was removed at the end of the war, and the site is now occupied by offices and a car park.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: