Z Battery Craigentinny Golf Course
A World War II anti-aircraft Z-Battery was sited on Craigentinny Golf Course, to the east of Edinburgh and southeast of Leith,. Site number EZ1.
The Z-Battery was armed with rocket launchers rather than heavy guns, and records indicate that this battery was equipped with 61 U2P unrotating twin barrelled launchers, GL Radar Mk II, and an accommodation camp. Aerial photography taken by the RAF in 1946 showed the remains of the battery, together with a row of huts on the southern perimeter of the course.
The battery was manned by the Home Guard.
The Z-Battery was located about 300 metres south of a conventional heavy anti-aircraft (HAA) battery also located on the golf course, AA Battery Craigentinny Golf Course. This battery appears to have been provided with its own accommodation camp to the west, as the aerial photography showed a separate set of huts south of the Z-Battery, along the southern perimeter of the golf course.
There are no surviving remains of the battery, which was removed at the end of the war, and the site reverted to Craigentinny Golf Course.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: