5 Random Pages

Recent Changes (All)

Related Pages


Fight Spam! Click Here!


Z Battery Bow Hill

Recent Page Trail:

A World War II anti-aircraft Z-Battery was sited near Bow Hill, to the west of Greenock. Site number CZ4. Part of the , the site was also known as Craig's Top, or Lyle Hill.

The Z-Battery was armed with rocket launchers rather than heavy guns, and this battery was equipped with 64 U2P unrotating twin barrelled launchers, GL Radar Mk II, and an accommodation camp. Aerial photography taken by the RAF in 1946 showed the remains of the battery only as marks on the ground. A group of huts forming part of the accommodation camp next to the cemetery had been demolished, leaving only the concrete bases, while a further group near Lyle Hill was still standing at the time the photographs were taken. Several unidentified structures protected by earth blast walls were also mentioned.

There are no surviving remains of the battery or camp, and the site has reverted to the Greenock Golf Course.

External links

Related Canmore/RCAHMS and ScotlandsPlaces (SP) entries:-

 

  •  


Aerial views


Map

Comments

You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.

Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters


Recent Page Trail: