Yorkhill Quay lies on the north side of the River Clyde as it passes through Glasgow. Dating from 1868, the quay was expanded in 1907 with the addition of the Yorkhill Basin.
The quay occupies an area of approximately 1,000 square metres, and is used to provide storage and support facilities for vessels of the Royal Navy, NATO members, and visiting US Navy vessels. When additional area is required, the King George V Dock located on the opposite side of the river, normally used for bulk cargo, is made available.
The need for additional space arises on the occasion of events such the regular Joint Maritime Course (JMC) held every three years off Cape Wrath, and campaigns such as the Northern Light training exercise held off the west coast of Scotland in September, 2003, which saw twenty warships from fourteen nations in the two docks, including: Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Ukraine, the United States and Great Britain.
In October 2004, HMS Glasgow paid a final visit to the city before she was decommissioned in 2005. HMS Glasgow was the first warship to enter the South Atlantic Exclusion Zone during the Falklands War in May 1982. HMS Glasgow survived a bomb strike on May 12, 1982, when the device passed through the aft engine room without either exploding or causing injury.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: