Warklaw Hill Decoy
Records indicate that a civil Starfish decoy site was located on Warklaw Hill, south west of Edinburgh. Alternative names are listed as Kinleith Civil Starfish Decoy Site, Torphin Quarry and Easter Kinleith. The former decoy site lies about 750 metres northeast of Easter Kinleith farm, and southwest of the old quarry, which is now flooded.
The decoy was located on the northwest slope of the hill, and while there are no distinct remains, concrete slabs have been reported in the vicinity of a number of platforms visible in aerial photography of the area taken in 1945. The control bunker was also visible then, but has since been lost. The main remaining feature is the access track, which leads to a modern transmitter and mast installation.
Although the records have no classification for the decoy, the mention of "at least fourteen small platforms" in the report suggests this was a QF (fire) decoy, as these used controlled burning of material in baskets to achieve their effect.
- Control bunker
- Three or four platforms reported
- Modern transmission tower
- Two square platforms reported
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: