Tarbat Ness Concrete Arrow
A concrete arrow lies in a field on Tarbat Ness, a headland which lies on the southern shore of the entrance to the Dornoch Firth, 10 miles (16 km) northeast of Tain and north of the Cromarty Firth.
The arrow is similar to those used during World War II, used to provide a visual reference for aircraft bound for nearby bombing or gunnery ranges. However, it differs significantly from those identified at such sites, as it is not set flat into the ground, but is constructed such that it is lower at the back than the front, meaning it has the property of only being properly visible when approached from behind. The arrow will not appear if it is approached from ahead, or from either side.
At the time of writing, the specific purpose of this arrow is not known, although the the field containing the arrow is reported to be known locally as The Target.
There are additional buildings from the time reported on the site, two of which were noted to have large windows overlooking a common area.
During the war, the area was extensively evacuated, with the residents of Tarbat, Inver, and Fearn being obliged to leave their homes at short notice in the period between December 1943 and May 1944. These areas were later revealed to have been chosen for training troops in readiness for the D-Day landing, as they were considered to have similarities to the places those troops would be arriving at, and were used to carry out training under conditions of live firing in the hope of preparing the men for the conditions they would be facing. The 3rd Infantry Division and the naval 'Force S' carried out concentrated training there in preparation for the D-Day invasion of June 6, 1944.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: