RAF Elgin was a World War II satellite airfield serving RAF Lossiemouth.
Also known as Elgin Airfield or Bogs O'Mayne, the airfield was constructed on an area of level ground to the east of the River Lossie, about 2.5 kilometres southwest of Elgin, and west of Miltonduff. It occupied an area of some 180 hectares, with a further 6.5 hectares occupied between Wester Manbeen Cottages and Miltonduff, where domestic accommodation was located.
Although there is no evidence remaining of the airfield in terms of the runways, a number of the original buildings still survive around the general area, and have been reused as farm building, or abandoned.
The site, and those who served there, are remembered by a sizeable memorial located at the junction of the B9010 Balnacoul Road and a minor road leading to the west, where a number of original buildings related to the airfield can still be found.
The wording on the memorial reads:
|Erected on the site of|
R.A.F. Elgin (Bogs of mayne)
a satellite airfield for Nº20
O.T.U. Lossiemouth between
1940 and 1945, Wellington
aircraft used this airfield
for training and also as a
departure point for the
thousand bomber raids
of summer 1942. Other aircraft
using the airfield included
Hurricanes, Lysanders and
The airfield closed in 1946.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: