Port Mor Radar Station
Port mor on the island of Tiree is described as the site of a World War II temporary Advanced Chain Home radar station, which was closed down when the Chain Home radar station at Kilkenneth was activated. The location lies on the west side of the B8065 road between Barrapol and Sandaig. The station has been reported as being active between 1941 and 1942.
Aerial photographs taken by the RAF in 1946 showed one hut and three hut bases on the site.
Note that photographs linked below, originally identified as being of Kilkenneth radar station, have been reclassified to identify them as Port Mor radar station. Further information is provided on their own site.
Early in 2016 we received a note to the effect that the photo we have for the station area is in fact the Middleton Farm sheep tank, which is to the east of the 8065. Immediately across the road, looking west, are several concrete hard standings for huts, and hooks hooks which located steel hawsers that held the mast. These are still visible.
- Port Mor photographs
- Kilkenneth photographs. Note, description amended to identify these as showing Port Mor
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: