Loch of Strathbeg Seaplane Base
Loch of Strathbeg seaplane base was established on the loch during World War I, and lies approximately halfway between Peterhead and Fraserburgh on the northeast coast of Scotland.
The facility opened in 1916, and in 1918 was the base of 400 Flight, 249 Squadron.
The area is now a designated Special Protection Area for wildlife conservation purposes, maintained by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB).
According to the RSPB's own web site and details for the loch, access is as follows:
Tower Pool Hide offers a panoramic view of the main goose roosting and feeding areas and is open from dawn until dusk. This is a 10 minute walk from the visitor centre.
You can access the Fen and Bay hides via the Crimond Airfield every day from dawn to dusk. From the Visitor Centre, drive back to Crimond and turn left on the A90 (towards Peterhead) then take the first left (signposted 'Crimond Airfield').
On arriving at the airfield, cross the cattle grid to the left of the barrier and follow the RSPB signs. Please note that the speed limit is 20mph except the new raised section marked by the white stones, where the limit is 5mph. There are several rows of large wooden bollards along the track. These can all be passed through safely - look for the signs or highlighted areas to pass each row.
- RSPB facilities.
However, according to local reports as of 2010/2011, upgrades to Crimond Airfield, which is an active site operated by the DCSA (Defence Communication Services Agency) on behalf of the MoD, upgrades to radio equipment on the site were accompanied by security upgrades which mean this route is no longer available, although the access which does not involve the airfield route remains.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: