Loch Fyne Gunpowder Mill
Further background material can be found on our page about the Argyll Gunpowder Industry.
See also the Argyll Mill pages:
The Loch Fyne Gunpowder Mill, also referred to as the Loch Fyne Powderworks, operated from 1842 to 1883, and was located at Furnace, on the shore of Loch Fyne, nine miles (15 km) south west of Inveraray. From 1755 to 1812, the Duddon Furnace Company of Furness in Cumbria operated an iron smelting works there, on a site originally named Craleckan. The location was ideal, as the mill required similar resources to the smelting works; access to local water and wood, and easy transport of materials and product via the loch.
The remains of a number of buildings and the waterwheel can still be found on the site.
An explosion was recorded at the works in 1883:
7. Circumstances attending an explosion of gunpowder which occurred at the gunpowder factory of Messrs. John Hall and Son, at Furnace, Loch Fyne, near Inveraray, on the 29th September 1883. Report to the Rt. Hon. the Secretary of State for the Home Department by Colonel A. Ford, H.M. Inspector of Explosives, 1884.
Vol. XVII, 23p., ill., maps. [C. 3860]
A stove or drying-house at the gunpowder factory exploded, killing the manager of the factory and injuring three others.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: