Killellan House, on the Kintyre peninsula, lay on the road to Keil and Southend, but has been demolished. The estate of Killellan House lies in the Conie Glen, beside the Conie Water. Although the house has been lost, the entrance lodge and gateway still stand at the side of the B842 road.
The house is not listed in the building of the Dictionary of Scottish Architects 1840 - 1980, but has been attributed by some to William Burn, or one of his pupils. Burn was sought after for his work, and he had a reputation for designing building which worked well at the time, and catered for the owners' needs with meticulous care and attention. In particular, ensuring that the masters and servants' path did not cross unless intended.
The house is believed to have been lost to fire, and demolished by a local builder, Neil McArthur, who sold the spoil on for use in other building works during the 1960s, with some of the sandstone being used in the foundations of the houses at the corner of Mill Street and Broad Street in Campbeltown, and 47 - 51 High Street.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: