Island Davaar Observation Post
The Island Davaar Observation Post was constructed on the island during World War II, and is a two storey brick and concrete structure located approximately 50 metres west of the lighthouse on the north of the island.
Known locally as a Signal Station, the building is similar to another which was constructed on the New Quay at Campbeltown, and is believed to have received visual identification signals from ships intending to enter Campbeltown Loch.
The island also served as a mooring point for one end of the Campbeltown Loch Anti-Submarine Boom, which extended north west to the mainland, and protected the entrance to loch in conjunction with a minefield.
Davaar, situated at the mouth of Campbeltown Loch, is an island only at high tide, and is linked to the mainland by the Dhorlin, a bank of shingle which can be crossed at low tide. The lighthouse was built in 1854, by David and Thomas Stevenson, and was automated in 1983.
Located within one of the caves on the south of the island, is the Davaar Island Cave Painting of Jesus on the Cross, painted in 1887 by a local teacher, Archibald MacKinnon. The painting was completed in secret, after he had a dream telling him where to carry out the work.
Over the years, some of the detail has been lost, and the main content has been restored on a number of occasions, by local artists, and is now better protected from damage. In more recent times, a police investigation was launched after the painting was vandalised in the summer of 2006.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: