HM Prison Barlinnie
HM Prison Barlinnie (81 Lee Avenue, Riddrie, Glasgow, G33 2QX)is a large prison generally housing male offenders, those on remand, and those convicted and serving less than 4 years. It also holds offenders serving life sentences when approaching a potential release date. It has been used to hold prisoners from all over Scotland in response to a new building programme within the Scottish Prison Service (SPS).
Locally and colloquially Barlinnie is known as the 'Bar-L'.
- 1879 Purchase of land
- 1882 A Hall commissioned
- 1883 B Hall commissioned
- 1887 C Hall commissioned and old gate completed
- 1888 House for chaplain and doctor built outside gate
- 1890 Link corridor A, B, C halls were built
- 1892 D Hall commissioned
- 1893 Chapel completed and perimeter extended to build E Hall
- 1896 E Hall completed
- 1908 Old sheds built with alterations to E Hall
- 1933 Alterations to D hall and new office block built adjacent to gate
- 1939 Gymnasium and (old) library built
- 1949 Handicraft workshop built
- 1951 Dining halls built
- 1954 Old visits room completed
- 1955 Female block built (closure of Duke St)
- 1960 Reception area reconstructed and VT introduced
- 1968 New sheds complete
- 1972 Special Unit in female block (until 1994)
- 1983 Segregation Unit completed
- 1989 Observation bridges built
- Average numbers in custody for 2013/2014 – 1,305
- Average 8,000 prisoner admissions per annum
- Average 4,500 liberations per annum
- Average 45,000 prisoner movements to courts, transfers etc.
- Average 3,600 prisoner visits per month
- 6,326 prisoner visitors per month
- 1,143 legal agents visits per month
A total of 10 judicial executions by hanging took place at HMP Barlinnie between 1947 and 1960, replacing the gallows at Duke Street Prison before the final abolition of Capital Punishment in the UK for murder in 1969.
Each of the condemned men had been convicted of murder. All executions took place at 8:00 am. As was the custom, the remains of all executed prisoners were the property of the state, and were therefore buried in unmarked graves within the walls of the prison. During the D hall renovations of 1997, the prison gallows cell (built into D Hall) was finally demolished and the remains of all the executed prisoners were exhumed for reburial elsewhere.
|08 February 1946||John Lyon||21||Thomas Pierrepoint|
|06 April 1946||Patrick Carraher||39||Thomas Pierrepoint|
|10 August 1946||John Caldwell||20||Albert Pierrepoint|
|30 October 1950||Christopher Harris||28||Albert Pierrepoint|
|16 December 1950||James Robertson||33||Albert Pierrepoint|
|12 April 1952||James Smith||22||Albert Pierrepoint|
|29 May 1952||Patrick Gallagher Deveney||42||Albert Pierrepoint|
|26 January 1953||George Francis Shaw||25||Albert Pierrepoint|
|11 July 1958||Peter Manuel||31||Harry Allen|
|22 December 1960||Anthony Miller||19||Harry Allen|
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: