Glasgow Airport hosted its first commercial flight on 2 May 1966 when the site at Abbotsinch took over from Renfrew Airport, and was officially opened by The Queen on 27 June 1966.
The first commercial flight to arrive was a British European Airways (BEA) service from Edinburgh, preceded the day before by a Loganair Cherokee-6 which was the first to land there.
The terminal was designed by Sir Basil Spence, and took a year to complete at a cost £4.5 million.
Glasgow City Council, then Glasgow Corporation, was unwilling to run the airport at first, worried that it would be a financial burden on ratepayers. But their attitude changed after the airport made an unexpected profit of almost £18,000 in 1967 - instead of a projected loss of £100,000.
Abbotsinch was the site of an early airstrip, opened in 1932, and became home of RAF 602 Squadron (City of Glasgow).
Abbotsinch Airfield pillboxes:
- 43.01 - Pillbox 1
- 43.02 - Pillbox 2
- 43.03 - Pillbox 3
- 43.04 - Pillbox 4
- 43.05 - Pillbox 5
- 43.06 - Pillbox 6
- 43.07 - Pillbox 7
- 43.08 - Pillbox 8
- 43.09 - Pillbox 9
- 43.10 - Pillbox 10
Transatlantic flights began in 1967.
British Airways (BA) launched its 'London Shuttle' service to Heathrow in 1975.
The terminal was extended in 1976 and then 1989, when its size was increased by 70%.
Pictorial history published in 2017
A pictorial history of Scotland's first major airport was published in 2017 to mark its 50th birthday.
The 98-page souvenir, 50 Years of Glasgow Airport, was compiled by Dugald Cameron and was circulated among staff.
1 ⇑ Pictorial history celebrates 50 years of Glasgow Airport - The Scotsman Retrieved 29 January 2017.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: