Firemore Camp was a World War II military camp which lay on both sides of the B8057 road at Firemore Bay on the western shore of Loch Ewe, a sea loch. The camp occupied an area of machar bounded by Loch Sguod, less than half a mile to the southwest, and Loch Ewe to the northwest, with the Uidh Chrò passing through the camp as it flowed from the inland loch to the sea.
The camp provided accommodation for personnel assigned to the ant-aircraft battery and the boom depot, both located a short distance from the camp ans to the northeast, on the road to the point at An Fhaighear Mhoir.
RAF aerial photography taken in 1946 and 1952 showed some 35 hut bases on the site, and about 20 of these can still be seen in current aerial images dating from 2005.
Modern OS mapping shows a "Camp Site (disused)" located at NG82208820, in the area between the battery and the depot, however there is no evidence on the ground of a camp at this location.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: