Dunalastair is an estate which lies along the River Tummel between Tummel Bridge to the east, and Kinloch Rannoch to the west. It was home to Clan Donnachaidh, which includes names such as Robertson, Duncan and Reid, and the estate contain the burial ground of the chiefs of the Clan Donnachaidh.
From various accounts, it seems that the first structure on the site was a tower house, but this was burnt down after the rebellion of 1745 as the then chieftain, Alexander Robertson of Struan, was a Jacobite supporter.
A second house was built on the site, and the family lived there until the 1850s, when it seems that this house was accidentally burnt down. This was about the same time the 18th Chief was obliged to sell his Struan estate in 1854 to pay off debts.The 18th Chief had to sell his Struan estate in 1854 to pay debts.
The ruins now visible at Dunalatair are those of the third house to be built on the site, and are the remains of an old Baronial style mansion built in 1862 by General Macdonald, then owner of Dunalastair.
The house was requisitioned during World War II, and subsequently used as a school for Polish refugees - said to have set fire to the dining room.
Finally abandoned in 1952, it quickly became a derelict and roofless shell.
The present house, now in ruins was also known as Mount Alexander, was erected in 1852 around the core of an older building for General Sir John Macdonald, by the Perth architectural firm of Andrew Heiton and Son. Dunalastair was requisitioned during the war and latterly used as a school for Polish refugees, who set fire to the dining room. It was vacated in 1952 and rapidly became a roofless shell. It was suggested Dunalastair should be sold to the Japanese and shipped over there for reconstruction like Milton-Lochart, luckily it still stands in its wooded surroundings amidst the wilderness of Rannoch Moor.
- Scotland's Endangered Houses
Dun Alastair or Mount Alexander, a fine modern Scottish Baronial mansion in Fortingall parish, Perthshire, on the left bank of the Tummel, 3 miles E of Kinloch Rannoch, and 17 W of Pitlochry. Its predecessor was the seat of the Struan Robertsons, and it owes much of its ornamental planting to the Jacobite poet chieftain of Clan Donnachie, Alexander Robertson (16701749), the prototype of Scott's 'Baron of Bradwardine.' The present house was built by Gen. Sir John Macdonald, K. C. B. (1788-1866).
- Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.
- Dunalastair house - a set on Flickr Retrieved October 18, 2010.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: