5 Random Pages

Recent Changes (All)

Related Pages


Fight Spam! Click Here!


Craigneith Castle

Recent Page Trail:

Craigneath Castle, 1922, Christopher Ladds
Craigneath Castle, 1922
Courtesy of Christopher Ladds
Copied from an original photograph belonging to Fred Mitchell, former Calderwood Resident

Craigneith Castle lay across the waters of the Rotten Calder from Calderwood Castle to the east of East Kilbride, and served as accommodation for servants at Calderwood, which technically precludes its later description as a folly.

Craigneith, was in fact a folly castle which was titled Craigneith Castle, also sometimes spelt as Craigneath or Craignith. This folly was built on a range of lofty cliffs known as the Crags of Craigneith on a concave bend of the Rotten Calder Water. On the convex side of this location is a promontory known as the Dee of Calder. Upon this precipice stood Calderwood Castle. Craigneith was built by the Maxwells of Calderwood sometime between 1750 and 1845. It was a two storey, small building with a tower and battlemented parapet. Its purpose was - 1. To provide extensive views from the upper floors across Calderwood Glen (Calderglen), being an extraordinary vantage point; 2. To serve as a picturesque decorative Castle in the landscape which could be seen from many points in the surrounding area; 3. To provide accommodation for some of Calderwood Castle's servants.

There, dwelt the old, old lady of Craigneith Castle, who would arise each morning between 4:00-5:00 am to cross the river to Calderwood Castle where she would light all 30 fires in the building. She would leave Craigneith Castle, descend the steep cliffs via serpentine paths, through thick foliage, cross the footbridge, ascend the precipice via some steep steps and finally enter Calderwood Castle. Through tempest, rain, gales and the roaring foaming of the murky Calder she would do so every day, all year. She did this all her time there right up to the time of her death.

- Christopher Ladds

Photographs

References

  • Sourced from the archives of Christopher Ladds, local historian.

External links

Related Canmore/RCAHMS and ScotlandsPlaces (SP) entries:-

 

  •  


Aerial views


Map

Comments

You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.

Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters


Recent Page Trail: