5 Random Pages

Recent Changes (All)

Related Pages


Fight Spam! Click Here!


Coastal Battery Salthouse Head

Recent Page Trail:

A coastal battery was located on Salthouse Head during World War II. The battery lay to the south of Peterhead harbour, on the southern part of Peterhead Bay, and adjacent to HM Prison Peterhead (1888).

The battery was provided with two emplacements, reported in 1940 to have been armed with 6-inch guns, and huts to accommodate the crews.

The battery was placed on care and maintenance at the end of the war in 1945, and was still visible in aerial photographs taken by the RAF in 1959, but was later demolished, leaving no remains.

The former battery site now lies between an oil storage area and small tank farm to the north, and a sewage station to the southwest.

External links

Related Canmore/RCAHMS and ScotlandsPlaces (SP) entries:-

 

  •  


Aerial views


Map

Comments

You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.

Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters


Recent Page Trail: