Coastal Battery Lossiemouth
Lossiemouth Coastal Battery lies approximately two miles east of RAF Lossiemouth and the town of Lossiemouth on the south shore of the Moray Firth. The remains also lie just north of RAF Milltown, which is now an MoD radio station, but was once a satellite airfield to RAF Lossiemouth, the pair being HMS Fulmar, and HMS Fulmar II.
The installation is also described as and Emergency Coast Battery, however the records do not describe this definition further, so the implications of the emergency description are unknown.
The battery lies behind the remains of a series of beach defences comprising pillboxes and anti-tank blocks, which still remain at numerous locations along the beach. Next to the battery is a building described as a fishing station, which dates back to at least the 1870s and would have been used for salmon netting, and which shows signs of having been modified, suggesting it was re-used as part of the battery.
The battery contained two 6-inch gun emplacements of brick and concrete construction, two searchlight emplacements, two observation posts, three engine rooms,, a magazine, and an accommodation camp to the southwest. Further building have been reported on the site, with an air raid shelter, stores, and a number of hut bases being evident. The battery was visible in RAF aerial photographs taken in 1945, and later aerial surveys completed in 1950. 227 battery was formed at Lossiemouth on May 28, 1941, and two 6-inch MK XI/V guns recorded mounted in May 1941. The battery was placed on care and maintenance in April 1945, with the guns being removed by June 1946.
The structure of the battery remains largely as described, complete with trenches which connect the magazine to the gun emplacements, and the original camouflage paint surviving on some of the buildings. Reports of the battery draw particular attention to the gun emplacements, which contain two sets of holdfast bolt rings, with the second being smaller and set to to the side of the main gun platform. This appears to be have been intended for a smaller gun, presumably to defend the site, but was never used, as the emplacement wall encroaches on the smaller mounting.
Related Canmore/RCAHMS and ScotlandsPlaces (SP) entries:-
- 30.01 Gun Emplacement (No 1 gun)
- 30.02 Gun Emplacement (No 2 gun)
- 30.03 Observation Post (Battery OP)
- 30.04 Searchlight Emplacement (E)
- 30.05 Searchlight Emplacement (W)
- 30.06 Engine House (Main)
- 30.07 Engine House (E)
- 30.08 Engine House (W)
- 30.09 Magazine; Trench
- 30.10 Military Camp (accommodation)
- Fishing Station
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: