Clippens House Linwood
Clippens House lies in Linwood, to the west of Paisley. The current house was built in 1817, by the Cochrane family, which owned much of the land around Linwood during the 16th century.
The Clippens name was formerly Clippings, and is thought to be derived from the time when the monks of Paisley Abbey allowed the local people to cut or clip the surrounding fields.
Local stories tell of the house being haunted, with the sound of horses clip-clopping about the empty courtyard to be heard.
Civil Defence Emergency Planning Centre
From the 1960s until the early 1980s, the house was used as the Civil Defence Emergency Planning Centre for Renfrewshire, after which the local council used the building for offices. Having lain abandoned for a time, the house was redeveloped as flats.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: