Civilian Transit Camp Bridge Of Weir
Records indicate that a World War II civilian transit camp was located in Bridge of Weir, just north of Bridge of Weir railway station, and south of the River Gryfe.
The purpose of the Bridge of Weir camp, together with another established at Neilston, was to accommodate some 6,000 civilian refugees, displaced and evacuated from Gibraltar at the start of World War II. The refugees had been moved from London in 1944, after the V1 flying bomb attacks began. Aerial photography from 1947 shows at least 50 huts with pitched roofs, arranged in streets around a large T-shaped building, which may have been a hall or mess.
The site has been lost to later housing development, and there are no surviving remains of the camp, which would have stood in the area now occupied by Moss Road, Peat Road, Gorse Crescent, Church Road, Hillview Road and St Machars Road.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: