Cats Castle Cardross
The Cats Castle, originally known as Hazelwood, lies just outside and to the west of Cardross, on the south side of the A814 Cardross Road.
The house dates from 1888, and was built for Robert Craig, Sheriff-Clerk of Dunbartonshire. He has been described as the ultimate cat enthusiast, and had the outside of the building embellished with elaborate climbing cat sculptures, leading to the cat nickname which eventually replaced the original name.
Although there are a number of references to 'feline sculptures' on the building, so far none of these can be seen in online pics.
It is not clear if the omission of the apostrophe in the building's name is intentional for some reason, or is just an an error that has been propagated, but none of the records seen to date have included its use.
In November 2016 the house sold for £665,000 and previously in September 2003 for £415,000.
- Cardross, Cardross Road, Cats Castle | Canmore Retrieved January 08, 2017.
- The ‘Cats Castle’ is purr-fect deal (From Helensburgh Advertiser) Retrieved January 08, 2017.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: