Buchanan Castle lies to the west of the village of Drymen, to the east of Loch Lomond, and the overgrown remains stand within formerly landscaped grounds.
The structure is more of an early Scots baronial mansion house, rather than a defensive castle, and was built to a design by William Burn for the Duke of Montrose between 1852 and 1858, replacing an earlier building on the site, which had burnt down in 1850. The Grahams of Montrose moved to this site from Mugdock during the 1640s, although the present building only dates from 1854. The grounds also contain a lodge designed by William Playfair, an ice house, stables, High Mains farmhouse and the Old House which dates from 1724.
In 1925, the castle became a hotel.
During World War II, the castle was requisitioned for use as a military hospital, at which time a number of ancillary building were built in the grounds around the house, many of which later sold and converted into private dwellings.
In 1941, when Rudolf Hess crashed at the end of of his flight to Britain on May 10, he injured his ankle while bailing out of his aircraft, which was about to run out of fuel, and was later taken to the military hospital at Buchanan Castle for treatment.
In 1954, the roof was removed and the castle was partially demolished, with the loss of some of the service wings, although the majority of the exterior walls remain, together with some of the interior walls.
- Buchanan Castle 2010 - a set on Flickr Retrieved October 11, 2010.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: