Bona Lighthouse is sometimes described as Scotland's only inland lighthouse, but there is another nearby at Fort Augustus, so at least two exist, however, it does seem to have been the smallest manned lighthouse in the United Kingdom.
The lighthouse lies to the east of the A882 at Lochend, and stands at the entrance to Loch Dochfour at the northern end of Loch Ness, and marks the start of the Caledonian Canal. Located within an octagonal, two storey white building adjoining a single storey dwelling dating to 1822, the original steady white light shone from a lantern in a corbelled oriel window in the upper storey, facing along Loch Ness. In more recent times, this was altered to utilise two electric lights mounted on a timber pole to the left of the oriel windows, becoming an unoccupied beacon, which can be seen in later photographs of the building.
The original light is no longer in operation, and shipping is guided through this narrow stretch of water into Loch Dorfour by the later lights, which have been supplemented by additional lights in the lit and buoyed channel.
The lights are operated by British Waterways, who no longer maintain the disused lighthouse building.
In 2006, plans were drawn up to develop the lighthouse and the surrounding land to form a major Visitors' Centre, but resistance from local residents led to these plans being abandoned.
In September 2008, the local Labour MSP, David Stewart, attempted to seek some protection for the building which has been described as "crumbling", intending to contact British Waterways, and raise he matter in the Scottish Parliament.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: