Blantyre Muir Decoy
Records indicate that a World War II Starfish decoy site was located north of Blantyre Muir, east of East Kilbride. Part of the Clyde AA Defences. Site number SF13f. The decoy was also known as Lodgehill, or Parknewk.
The site was visible in aerial photographs taken by the RAF in 1945, with a control bunker visible some 700 metres northwest of the decoy site. No further detail was given to indicate if the decoy was a QF (fire), or QL (lighting) decoy.
There now appears to be no remaining evidence of the decoy site or its control bunker. An aerial photographic survey carried out in 1988 indicated that the decoy site had been destroyed by opencast mining works, with spoil heaps and vehicle tracks obliterating any potential remains, although the bunker entrance was still visible. Online aerial imagery, estimated as being post 2000, shows the bunker entrance to have been lost to expansion of the works on the south side of Newhousemill Road, near the works entrance.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: