Balrossie School dates from 1899, and was originally a home for sailor's orphans. The Sailors Orphans Society of Scotland commissioned the orphanage, and this was the first orphanage to be built by the society.
Since the 1960s, it served as a residential List D School, having been purchased by Glasgow Corporation in 1962, and was closed in the 1990s, with a date of February 1998 having been reported by one of the last members of staff to have left
Following closure of the school, the buildings have been left to lie abandoned and derelict, sometimes sealed with steel shutters on the lower floor in an attempt to keep the vandals out.
Browsing around various stories relating to the site, it seems that it was purchased by the Boys Brigade some time prior to the outbreak of World War II, and used by them as an outdoor training centre.
During World War II, Balrossie was used as headquarters for light AA (anti-arircraft).
On Monday, July 15, 2013, the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service reported that four appliances together with some 20 firefighters fought a fire in an extension to the derelict school, and that the roof had collapsed at 06:30 am. An inspection by Building Control later declared that the structure had become unsafe.
2 ⇑ Balrossie School in Kilmacolm gutted by large fire in Inverclyde | Glasgow & West | News | STV Retrieved July 15, 2013.
- Balrossie School: Main Building, Kilmacolm | Buildings at Risk Register for Scotland Retrieved July 14, 2015.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: