5 Random Pages

Recent Changes (All)

Related Pages


Don't Click


Auchendennan House

Recent Page Trail:

Auchendennan House, 2007, © http://www.geograph.org.uk/profile/12877
Auchendennan House entrance
© George Rankin

During World War II, Auchendennan House at Arden on the west shore of Loch Lomond, was home to the Searchlight Sites Headquarters of the 12th Anti-Aircraft Division.[1]

History

Auchendennan House, 2007, © http://www.geograph.org.uk/profile/12877
Auchendennan House loch view
© George Rankin

Early in the 19th century (c. 1818) William Rouet, a Glasgow merchant, built an Italian villa on the rising ground of the area, and named the house Belretiro. This house no longer exists, and the mansion which occupies the site was built during the period 1842-46 for George Martin, another Glasgow merchant, with later additions to the house being made by Mr Chrystal, a chemical manufacturer.

After the war ended, the house passed to the Scottish Youth Hostels Association (SYHA), and plans were quickly drawn up in 1945 for its alteration to suit its new purpose. The house now (2007) offers 153 beds in 24 rooms, and retains many of its original features, including a ballroom, and a sweeping cast iron staircase with vast stained glass window. Auchendennan House has been listed category A since 1980, due to its exceptional interior, while the associated stable buildings and fountain associated have been separately listed category B since 1996.

References

1 Freedom of Information report identifying the searchlight HQ

External links


Aerial views


Map

Comments

You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.

Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters


Recent Page Trail: