Argyll Mausoleum lies just to the east of Kilmun (St Munn's) Church, now one of three Shore Churches on the north shore of the Holy Loch, about six miles due north of Dunoon. It is also known as Kilmun Mausoleum,
The mausoleum is often described as one of the least known but most significant historic buildings in Argyll, possibly even in Scotland. It has occupied the site since 1790, and until 1949 all the Dukes of Argyll and their families have been interred there. Prior to its construction, the Dukes were buried under the floor of the adjacent church floor, and it is probable that they were re-interred there, as it replaced the Dukes' earlier private chapel, which had been built there in 1600.
Last restored around 1890, the work was overseen by the 9th Duke of Argyll, then Marquis of Lorne, who was responsible for the installation of the building's impressive cast iron dome. However, by 2010, neglect and decay meant that both the both the building and artefacts contained within were both at considerable risk.
In 2010, Argyll Mausoleum Ltd, a company limited by guarantee and set up by the Benmore & Kilmun Community Development Trust, and which involved the Church of Scotland, Argyll & Bute Council, Argyll Estates and Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park, received a first funding award from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) to proceed with an application for a grant of £240,000 towards the projected £750,000 cost of renovating the mausoleum. The grant allows up to two years for the submission of a fully detailed application to the HLF.
Together with the renovation of the mausoleum and its artefacts, the plans include the creation of a visitor centre with provision for visits to the mausoleum from the local community, schools, and tourists. Further research into the archaeology and history of the site will also be included as it is believed to date back to the 6th century, and be connected to the early Celtic church and Viking times.
Dr Elizabeth Blackwell
Dr Elizabeth Blackwell died on the May 31, 1910, and her centenary was celebrated in 2010. Blackwell was the first female doctor in the western world and was buried in the churchyard at Kilmun, where her grave is marked by a simple Celtic cross. Although she had no direct connection with the area - having trained at the Geneva Medical College in New York, after which she returned to England - she spent the last six years of her life in Kilmun, where she enjoyed the peace and tranquillity of the area.
2 ⇑ Minister Risks Ancient Mausoleum Curse 18/09/2009 - Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park Retrieved June 12, 2010.
3 ⇑ Scottish Ironwork - Listing Details, Argyll Mausoleum Retrieved June 12, 2010.
4 ⇑ Benmore and Kilmun Community Development Trust: The Argyll Mausoleum Project Retrieved June 15, 2010.
5 ⇑ Ancient Mausoleum Receives First Funding Award - Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park Retrieved June 11, 2010.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: