5 Random Pages

Recent Changes (All)

Related Pages


Fight Spam! Click Here!


AA Battery West Machrihanish

Recent Page Trail:

A World War II anti-aircraft battery was located northwest of Machrihanish, south of the former RAF Machrihanish airfield, and known as West Machrihanish.

Records indicate the battery to have been visible in RAF aerial photographs from 1946, and was equipped with four gun emplacements, never armed during the war, and a command post. An accommodation camp may also have been located 250 metres to the east.

The remains of the four emplacements and the command post can still be found on the site, separated from Machrihanish Bay by the course of Machrihanish Golf Club. The remains lie in a field near the start of the course, adjacent to its eastern boundary. Visible approximately 1 kilometre northwest of the site is the largest hangar of the nearby airfield.

External links

Related Canmore/RCAHMS and ScotlandsPlaces (SP) entries:-

 

  •  


Aerial views


Map

Comments

You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.

Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters


Recent Page Trail: