AA Battery Tournaig Farm
A World War II anti-aircraft battery was sited to the north of Tournaig. Site number E3. Part of the Loch Ewe Defences, the site was known as Tournaig Farm, and lies to the west of the A832 road, next to the shore.
The battery had four emplacements, a command post, and an accommodation camp to the south, towatd Tournaig Cottage. GL Radar Mk II was also recorded, with a ramp provided for the mobile equipment. Records suggest that the emplacements were modified to take an alternative type of armament (other than the usual 3.7-inch guns which it is reported to have been armed with), but no further details are known. The battery is reported to have been unarmed by June 1943.
Much of the battery remains, with the four emplacement and their ready use magazines still in place, together with the command post.
A balloon station was also located immediately to the north, and the water tower which belonged to the station can still be seen behind the battery remains pictured above.
The site picture shows the whole World War II site in one frame, with the modern building built on the foundations of the balloon station in the foreground to the right, the station water tower to left, and the AA battery between the two and to the rear. The GL Radar would have been sited in the field behind the battery.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: