AA Battery Strone
A World War II anti-aircraft battery was sited to the south of the A817 road heading east from Faslane, about 600 metres west of Strone House. Site number AN9. Part of the Clyde AA Defences, the battery was known as Strone or Strone House.
The battery was equipped with four gun emplacements and a command post, and an accommodation camp to the west, with some 40 huts. RAF aerial photographs taken in 1942 and 1947 show the site, and two further huts on the road approaching the battery from the south. Records suggest the battery was not armed during the war, and although the northern area of the site appears to have been prepared for GL Radar, this does not appear to have been installed.
There are no surviving remains of the battery or camp, although the bases on which the huts would have been built can still be identified on the ground and the track leading to battery is still in existence, with disturbed ground evident at its end.
Some 400 metres northwest of the battery lies the Glen Fruin Admiralty Research Establishment, used during World War II to carry out water entry tests of torpedoes and bombs, and which is still in use.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: