AA Battery Stevenston
A World War II anti-aircraft battery was sited to the east of Stevenston. Site number IC1. Part of the Clyde AA Defences.
The battery was equipped with four emplacements, armed with 3.7-inch guns in 1942, command post, magazine, and an adjacent accommodation camp with a GL Radar mat to the south, with GL Mk IA radar present in 1942. Aerial photographs taken by the RAF between 1941 and 1945 show that two additional emplacements were added to the site during those years. Records show the armament had increased to six guns in 1943, and that an EF radar set had been installed.
The battery was manned in 1940 and 1942 by 42 Brigade, but the Regiment changed from 102 to 170, and the battery from 316 to 528 over the same period.
There are no surviving remains of the battery, and a shopping development and car park now occupy the area to the south of the A78 road.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: