AA Battery Rosneath Dark Wood
The area of Parkhead, located on the south east corner of the Rosneath peninsula, was the site of two anti-aircraft batteries.
World War II
The first was a World War II anti-aircraft battery. Site number AN5. Part of the Clyde AA Defences. The site was known as Dark Wood, the name of a wood to the north, and lay adjacent to an area of land known as High Barracks, still visible as a five sided field in aerial views.
The battery is reported to have been equipped with four emplacements armed with 3.7-inch guns, GL Radar mat to the south, and an accommodation camp to the northwest.
First hand examination of a 1941 aerial photograph, held by RCAHMS, showed that the battery was equipped with a GL Radar mat in the five sided field to the south. The photograph also shows the gun emplacements just to the north of the radar mat, with the accommodation camp further to the northwest, adjacent to the road.
The site has been demolished, and there are no surviving remains although some aerial images seem to show a roughly circular shape in the area of the GL radar mat.
The second was a postwar battery, AA Battery Rosneath, located to the east of the World War II site, and which still has surviving remains.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: