AA Battery Nitshill
A World War II anti-aircraft battery was sited in Nitshill, to the south of Glasgow. Site number GSG4 (early), S4 (later). Part of the Clyde AA Defences, the site was also known as Darnley.
The battery was equipped with four emplacements, armed with 3.7-inch guns, and a GL Radar mat to the wesr, An accommodation camp lay to the south. Two further emplacements were later added the battery. The site was visible in aerial photography taken in 1946, when the two additional emplacements were noted lying northwest and southeast of the usual arc of four emplacements. Records show that six guns had been provided by 91943, but that the GL Radar Mk IA had been removed. Some 42 huts, mostly Nissen, could be seen in the area between Corslett Road and the Aurs Burn to the south.
There are no surviving remains of the battery, the site and surrounding area has been occupied by a housing development.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: