AA Battery Millthird
A World War II anti-aircraft battery was sited to the east of Barrhead, on the north side of the A736. Site number S14. Part of the Clyde AA Defences, the site was known as Millthird, Pattiston, or Lochliboside Hills.
The battery was equipped with four emplacements for 3.7 or 4.5-inch guns, a command post, GL Radar ramp and mat, and an accommodation camp to the northeast. The site was visible as described in aerial photographs taken in 1946.
The emplacements and command post were demolished to clear the site, which is now occupied by plots for the Ailsa Caravan Site.
The hut bases from the accommodation camp can still be found in the northeast part of the site, and the ramp for the GL Radar has survived to the northwest, where cable trenches have been dug for a later battery.
Further photographs taken in 1954 show the postwar battery, AA Battery Pattiston, with four later emplacements of Cold War design for 5.25-inch guns, built a few metres southwest the World War II battery. Cable trenches can be seen passing through the area formerly occupied by the GL radar mat.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: