AA Battery Loch Tollie
A World War II anti-aircraft battery was sited near Blar Na Cloiche, Loch Tollaidh, west of Loch Ewe, Gairloch, Highlands. Site number E4. The battery was known as Loch Tollie. Part of the Loch Ewe Defences. The site lies on the north side of the A832, and is accessed by a track from the road.
Records indicate the battery was equipped with four emplacements, 3.7-inch guns, a command post, and an accommodation camp to the southwest. Aerial photographs taken by the RAF in 1946 showed some 30 hut bases in the area of the camp.
There are no visible remains of the emplacements or command post, but there locations are clearly visible as raised mounds on the former battery site which has been reported to have been used as a local tip. There is no information as to the condition of these features under the mounds, so they may have been demolished and buried, or simply buried. Public records show the guns were removed by June 1942.
The bases of the huts which formed the accommodation camp can still be seen in the ground between the battery and the A832, and lie on both side of the track leading to the battery. Evidence of sewage system has also been reported.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: