AA Battery Kinghorn
A World War II anti-aircraft battery was sited in the area of Kinghorn golf course, to the east of Burntisland, Fife. Site number RNG8. Part of the Forth AA Defences. Known as Kinghorn, the battery lay lay west of Kinghorn, and north of Pettycur.
The battery was equipped with four emplacements with ready use ammunition lockers, a command post, and an accommodation camp to the east, which had at least 31 assorted Nissen huts and other buildings. The battery and camp appear on aerial photographs taken in 1945.
Public records do not show if the battery was ever armed, but confirm it was unarmed from June 1942 onwards, and was not provided with any GL Radar.
The emplacements are clearly visible in modern aerial images, showing the surviving remains in the garden of a house which has been built on the former battery site. Identified as Grange Hill farmhouse, the modern house has been built almost directly on top of the area which the command post would have occupied.
Farmer challenges right to buy land
While this site is effectively in someone's back garden, which is not an acceptable area for exploration, attempting to visit this particular site is inadvisable as there is ongoing friction between the owner and a local community group.
In August 2007, the owner went to court in a bid to overturn the Scottish Executive’s decision to give a community group the right to buy his land. The action by James Hazle, of Grange Hill Farm, Kinghorn, is reported as the first of its kind in Scotland and could pave the way for similar challenges to decisions made under the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 .
In January 2008, police were involved when fire damaged an agricultural vehicle valued at £25,000 .
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: