AA Battery Garscadden
A World War II anti-aircraft battery was sited to the east of Clydebank, and west of Bearsden. Site number GNG4 (early), N4 (later). Part of the Clyde AA Defences, the site was known as Garscadden.
The battery was equipped with four emplacements, a command post, a GL Radar mat to the southeast, and an accommodation camp to the northwest. The site was visible in aerial photographs taken by the RAF in 1941. The battery has been reported as being armed with 3.7-inch guns, however a local report from 2003 conflicts with this, and indicates that 4.5-inch guns were mounted.
We have been told that this was the second site, after Lenzie, to have radar installed, between late January and early February 1941
There are no surviving remains of the battery which was blown up by the Army, and a housing development occupies the site and the surrounding area.
Examination of RCAHMS aerial photography suggests that the emplacements were Type L, and that the command post was Type 1 which has now been confirmed by a gentleman who lived beside it as a boy. Apparently the guns were still there in the early 1950s.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: