AA Battery Foxbar
A World War II anti-aircraft battery was sited to the southwest of Paisley. Part of the Clyde AA Defences, the site was known as Foxbar, or Gleniffer Braes.
The battery was equipped with four emplacements and does not appear on the 1941 aerial photograph. The date of construction is unknown.
Other than the holdfasts, all visible structures relating to the battery have been removed from the site, which can be found along the remaining access road, west of the B775 Gleniffer Road near an electrical substation.
A site visit was carried out during 2009, some time after completion of a new section of the adjacent substation. Only three of the holdfasts appeareed to be extant. The fourth (labelled as "a" on the map below) has been lost in the development of the substation, or the earth banking around it. One large concrete hut base was identified, together with a considerable length of the World War II access road. No further remains were observed, and nothing on the ground indicated anything remained hidden below the surface. The single hut base and holdfasts appeared similar or identical to those found at the Craigmaddie Muir Decoy Site.
Starfish decoy site
The same general area of this battery has also been recorded as the site of the Gleniffer Braes Decoy, which was a World War II Starfish decoy. Most of this site has been lost under the sub station. leaving no visible remains.
The electrical substation near the site is known to have been upgraded in 2005, when some historic excavations were carried out. The subsequent report only mentioned "a gun emplacement, nine concrete plinths and a length of trackway".
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: