AA Battery Firemore
A World War II anti-aircraft battery was located at Firemore, on the eastern shore of Loch Ewe, a sea loch in Wester Ross, Highlands. Site number E6. Part of the Loch Ewe Defences, the battery may also have been known as An Fhaighear Mhoir.
The remains of the battery are located on both sides of a short road leading north from the B8057 to the site of the former Firemore boom depot on the point at An Fhaighear Mhoir. Three gun emplacements lie to the west of the road, with the fourth emplacement and the command post to the east. The emplacements have been constructed using a wet cement bag method, with the unopened bags being stacked wet, leaving their outline visible in the walls. Concrete shuttering has been used where necessary. The GL Radar ramp and equipment platform lie approximately 100 m east of the emplacements, in an area described as a boggy field. Public Record Office (PRO) records indicate that GL MK IA radar was installed at the site. No evidence of the GL radar mat remains. Accommodation for personnel posted to the battery was provided at the nearby Firemore Camp, on the machar to the southwest.
RAF aerial photography taken in 1946 and 1952 showed the battery and ramp, together with some camp and some 35 hut bases.
Many of the hut bases can still be found in the ground on either side of the road, and the emplacements survive complete with their holdfasts.
The area is now the location of a small caravan site, and the holdfasts have been re-used as caravan stances.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: