AA Battery Devol
A World War II anti-aircraft battery was sited to the south of Port Glasgow. Site number AS1. Part of the Clyde AA Defences, the battery was known as Devol, or Devol Farm.
The battery was equipped with four gun emplacements and a command post. Two further gun emplacements are identified between the main battery and original road, and may have been added at a later date. There was also an accommodation camp to the north, with some 25 huts, and a further 12 to the east. There is no evidence of any GL Radar, and nothing reported from aerial photographs taken by the RAF in 1946.
First hand examination of an aerial photograph taken on the 6th June 1941 shows that the Battery was on the south side of the road with the Accomodation Camp on the north side. The site appears to be still under construction at that time.
No evidence of the site remains, as all features have been lost to housing development in the area, which is also home to Devol Industrial Estate.
You may add a comment or offer further details which may be included in the page above.
Commenting has been disabled thanks to the attention of scum known as spam commenters
Recent Page Trail: