Welcome, Guest.
It's May 29, 2017, 12:14am.
Please login or register.
Home Page Another close call
SeSco    Secret Scotland    Around the country  ›  Another close call Moderators: Admin
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 26 Guests

Another close call  This thread currently has 2268 views. Print Print Thread
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Admin
April 24, 2016, 3:26am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
So, my luck holds

I've mentioned at least two actual shootings on streets I wander through regularly (heading to the shops no less) in the past year or two (these were discharges only, against property, and the shooters ran away) on the past year or two, but yesterday apparently took a new turn, with a hostage taking at knifepoint, and a siege of several hours, eventually resulting in a stand down.

Funny thing about this one was how the DR reported it.

Getting the 'best value' for their money, they used the same pair of pics to illustrate the story, but hoodwinked readers by printing them in reverse order the second, presumably to hide the fact that they were selling folk short, and reusing the same pics

Armed cops called to incident in Glasgow's east end as 'man takes woman and kids hostage at knifepoint' - Daily Record

Glasgow siege: Seven-hour drama ends with man being taken to hospital after armed cops are called to disturbance - Daily Record

Interesting to see the DR quoting from The Sun
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail
Admin
April 26, 2016, 10:00am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Well - that was disappointing.

Passing the place in the above story last night, I thought I'd see some standard blue/white tape where they cordoned off the spot, but not a piece to be seen

I couldn't remember the spot where the media had its 'multi-use' images taken at, so I just had to grab a shot of the general area... ( I now see their shots were taken to the right of mine).

And, as they say "Nothing to see here, move along".

Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 1 - 31
Admin
April 26, 2016, 1:02pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Damn you perfectionist gene!

Unusually, passed this again, but in daylight, and was compelled to take a pic closer to the scene than before

Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 2 - 31
Admin
June 18, 2016, 6:41pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Seriously...

TOO close!

Teenager stabbed in 'attempted murder' in Glasgow - BBC News

I walked past this scene no more than an hour ahead of events, and probably passed again no less than 20 minutes ahead, but on the opposite side of the road. I probably heard the group concerned 'having fun'.

There's usually some kids around, either there or in the grounds behinds, just carrying on as they do.

Their usual 'Big Sin' is leaving bottles and takeaway packaging lying around the bus shelter - it's such an effort to carry it to the bin a few metres away.

OH!

No, they can't do that, since they burnt it to a pile of shapeless melted plastic on the ground, years ago. And the council no longer wastes its time and money replacing it.
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 3 - 31
Admin
June 18, 2016, 8:13pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Interesting...

STV presents a somewhat different story of events...

And places it an hour later than the Beeb:

Teenage boy in hospital after 'brutal' stabbing attack

Apparently STV and DR are in cahoots, and agree!

Attempted murder probe launched after stabbing of teenager in Glasgow - Daily Record

Oh well...
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 4 - 31
Admin
June 19, 2016, 6:39pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
While this doesn't fall under 'Close Call' proper...

Man needs hopital treatment after Toryglen stabbing - BBC News

Is there a full moon or something?

Has something been tipped into the water supplies?

The news is bringing almost daily reports of random stabbings and attacks on an almost daily basis at the moment.

I'm not going to go back over the past week or so and list them...

But I can't be the only person who has noticed this.

Am I?
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 5 - 31
Admin
June 22, 2016, 7:56pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Well, looks like one has been caught:

Teenager arrested over attempted murder - BBC News

I'm not that social anyway, but I really hate it when some random body attached themselves to me on my way to the shops.

Of the last two, one started offering me rolled up packs of drugs, while the last one gave me his life story, during which he confessed that he'd been sent by the court to be assessed as to whether or not he was likely to attack people spontaneously.
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 6 - 31
Admin
June 24, 2016, 2:57pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Not saying I was 'close' to these, all in the news today (well, Riddrie maybe) but it's an interesting collection, and while not a stone's throw distant, still too close

Man receives life sentence for violent street murder

Takeaway driver stabbed then car petrol bombed outside shop

Gunman hunted after shots fired at house in upmarket street

I'll just turn over in bed in the morning, and stay there!
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 7 - 31
Admin
June 25, 2016, 8:35am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Well - you can't get much closer than RIGHT BESIDE!

Found this last night while taking a shortcut that mu current routing offers.

It's 'new' in as much as it was not there a few days ago, last time I walked to the shops.

Offhand, I'm not even sure what make it is, let alone the model. With no plastic trim, door handles, mirrors, badges, lights (even the headlights are gone now that the lenses are plastic and not glass), grille, or interior, there are no cues other than the metal bodyshell and the apertures to identify it.

In fact, as someone who's been into the guts of what are now regarded as 'classic' cars, the interior comes a something of a shock, and I took a pic to show it.

There's NOTHING left of the dashboard area, not even the steering wheel, and the rest of the interior is similarly absent. Even the seats are reduced to a couple of flat panels, with none of the metal parts that used to make up sprung upholstery.

Setting a stolen car on fire no longer just hinders any evidence of the thieves - thanks to the extensive use of plastics for all the interior now, it completely destroys ALL traces.

Looking at the ground under the engine compartment showed that there would be nothing worth looking at there either. I could see metal components that were once inside the engine there, and pools of aluminium that were once engine components, melted by the heat.

The car was dumped and torched to hide it here (from immediate discovery. The park is almost 100 m from the nearest road, and the spot is in a hollow hidden from the road by large bushes. The spot is on the edge of a running track and an area used for football, and it was not brought there to have tearing around - there is only a singe set of tracks leading through the grass, so it was just driven there and stopped.

There's another set of tyre tracks alongside, where the thieves mates waited while the fire was set, then left.

It's not that long since the last 'new' torched car I got to look over in detail, but even that, only a few years back, left a lot more than this little hatch - it was a more upmarket saloon, and the fire had not been so extensive... but there had clearly not been the same amount of plastic inside.
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 8 - 31
Admin
June 25, 2016, 6:31pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Oh dear - that's escalated somewhat

Teenager dies after stabbing attack near Glasgow school - BBC News

I'm soon going to be able to compile a list of murder sites I walk pass regularly.

Lest you think I'm being light-hearted about that, I'm not. I really could start such a list, and some of them I passed a matter of minutes after the event.

Mind you, I didn't know at the time, and only found out later when I saw the news.
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 9 - 31
Admin
June 28, 2016, 3:28pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Off we go again

At least I can't walk to Hamiltion (I did cycle there... once! ), and the public transport route is anything but obvious  - I looked a few weeks ago, when I almost succumbed to visiting a shop there. I think I had to travel as far PAST Hamilton as the actual point-to-point distance is, just to change trains and come back! And then repeat that daft routine to get back home. Oh, and I was expected to catch buses too. What a palaver. No wonder folk won't voluntarily give up cars

Anyway, saw this headline, which is classed as Glasgow news:

Two men shot in head on footpath in broad daylight murder bid

Seriously? Multiple head-shots and not dead.

But my real observation is not now that one incident, but many.

Is it my imagination, but since Dunblane and the knee-jerk hand-gun ban, and the recent increase in firearm laws in Scotland (also a knee-jerk reaction to one incident, not followed by England), have we seen an INCREASE in gun/firearm incidents?

While the Scottish Government sits back and smugly pats itself on the back, and the police gush about home many firearms they have taken off the streets, we seem to be in some sort of denial, as the soft-targets (the generally law-abiding and registered firearms) are denied legal firearms, while the criminals, who obviously don't give a damn about the law, and are not very likely to drop into their local police station for a firearms certificate, seem to be accumulating, and more importantly USING their illegal weapons with near impunity.

Convictions these days seem to come after a granny's house has been searched, and her scummy grandson has hidden a gun there, as the little criminal has not thought that his crimes will lead to addresses he frequents being searched.

But actual shooting related trials seem few, although coincidentally I see some in the headlines today.
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 10 - 31
Admin
June 28, 2016, 4:02pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
I think I'll just get one of these, and take my cat for a walk whenever I go out now.

Look closely...

It shoots out little heart-shaped smoke rings after each shot: "Take that scumbag, and have a nice day".

View post on imgur.com
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 11 - 31
Admin
June 29, 2016, 1:03am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Awww...

Isn't that aweet?

Friends of the stabbed teen who later died have memorialised the event by...

Vandalising the nearest bus stop and covering it with graffiti.

Everybody else laid flowers at one of the entrances to the school:

And carrying on the 'close call' them...

I detailed a car crash where the driver managed to get his car spun 180° and embed it in the school fence, on the other side of a barrier between the road and the footpath, some time back. This was at the other end of he school.

Tonight, just along from the bus stop, some clown managed to crash into the barrier and take a section out.

This must have happened in the past day or two, but had been almost completely cleaned up, leaving me no real clues. There were some bits of plastic, not identifiable, and a run of shattered toughened glass crumbs (so from a side window) lying in the gutter.

Since it was also raining, there was no way to see if there were any skid marks anywhere, as these vanish on a wet road surface or footpath.

Still, looking at the barrier, again, I wouldn't like to have been walking there at the time this car crashed either.

And just look at the nice road - how badly do you have to be driving to go crashing into the barrier at the side of a STRAIGHT road?

That bend you see is the only one within half a mile!

Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 12 - 31
Admin
June 30, 2016, 2:41pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Oh great!

I can't walk east OR west now, without walking into a murder scene after a few minutes

I would have been there, bar the crap weather, and some problems keeping me at home just now

Only upside to the report is that he seems to be a coward that strikes only the elderly, and seems to prowl at hours later than I would be in that area.

But if this is same guy in all the cases listed, he clearly does need to be caught.

Manhunt launched after man is stabbed to death in Bridgeton - The Scotsman
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 13 - 31
Admin
June 30, 2016, 6:52pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Geez...

This story just gets 'better' by the hour!

Third woman targeted by robbery spree knife killer in Glasgow - BBC News
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 14 - 31
Admin
July 2, 2016, 7:47am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
It looks as someone has already been arrested:

Man arrested over Glasgow pensioner death - BBC News

Man arrested in connection with fatal stabbing of pensioner

Hope it's the right one - I skirted Bridgeton yesterday.

Mind you, I was also giving that whole area a wide berth as I could hear the sound of marching bands in the air from the same direction, which I want to be nowhere near whatsoever!
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 15 - 31
Admin
July 2, 2016, 11:12pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
And...

Another arrest (story mentioned above):

Man arrested after double shooting in Hamilton - BBC News

Oddly, after yesterday, I had to be down Dalmarnock way again.

Also skirted around Bridgeton again, but really for speed of walking on route, rather than anything else
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 16 - 31
Admin
July 3, 2016, 2:58am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
So this was what I heard:

Glasgow Orange Walk: Thirteen people arrested by police as annual parade passes through city centre - Daily Record

Strangely, yesterday, which must have been practice, was a lot louder than what I happened to hear in the distance today, as I had to be in the same place.

Frankly, a horrible noise, especially those strident whistle or flutes they have. They seem to be toneless, or slightly out of tune, and very unpleasant and discordant.

It's all beyond me. I've no idea who they are or what they are about - and nor do I want to.

All I need to know is it's best to be somewhere else.
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 17 - 31
Admin
July 4, 2016, 5:55am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Neither...

Clearly this is Glasgow, probably near Parkhead where there's couple of little multi-storey flats just along from Celtic park.

Video has been reversed to make the traffic appear to be driving on the right rather than left of the road

View post on imgur.com
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 18 - 31
Admin
July 14, 2016, 6:58pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Now that's getting TOO close

Man badly injured in motiveless attack in Glasgow - BBC News

I only put this street back on my regular routes recently, after the shooting, which I posted a pic of almost the same spot (tenements on the right) last year.

One thing...

As seems to be the norm in (nearly) ALL these reports, the incident has again been described as 'motiveless'.

Setting aside the potential for drug related reasons...

This attack, and the shooting I referred to earlier, have taken place at a side street where the Union Flag is prominently displayed in a few places, and has been raised high on a couple of existing street posts, intended for road signs.

I know nothing more, but the sight cannot be missed as I hurry past.

This is actually one of a few sites I pass where the Union Flag is prominently displayed, another is outside a tenement flat with garden, and this is just a short distance from a pub which is also decked out prominently with Union Flags and colours.
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 19 - 31
Admin
August 7, 2016, 9:17pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
And closer still...

Man dies after fight outside Shettleston football ground - BBC News

I walked past the Junior's ground about 4 hours earlier

The billboard is of more interest though.

If you recall a perfume advert (Opium) which caused a real fuss about nothing, then that billboard carried it

I honestly did not even expect to see it used in Scotland, but there it was, in full view when I wandered along the road.

So long ago, I had to take a pic of it using film!

Digital cameras were still a dream - I'm not sure of the ad date (my database is on another computer), but don't pick up the the mention of 1977, which is the launch of Opium. The ad came some years later, but the date is not given in the article below.

It was gorgeous

YSL Opium advert is eighth most complained about

I may be wrong - but I think she looks better than the naked rambler
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 20 - 31
Admin
December 4, 2016, 12:30am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Damn! - They keep getting closer

Although to be fair, this one is really down the back streets I don't usually reach unless out for a deliberate wander - that said, I did have occasion to be neat this quite often in the past, as there is a care home I used once, so was visiting regularly (even though I technically was not supposed to )

Funny this about this one is the recent trend of older males to be involved in these skirmishes.

I can understand the teens and even 20s being idiots, but these are mature (in years at least). Still, at least this didn't involve a chain saw and limbs almost being removed, as happened further north not too long ago.

I didn't even know about this, and only found out when I came back from the shops and checked the local news

At least was yesterday

Two seriously injured in attack in Baillieston - BBC News
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 21 - 31
Admin
December 6, 2016, 2:03am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Baillieston story not getting any better

Man and woman arrested after knife attack in Glasgow - The Scotsman

I wonder if this can be linked to the recent installation of parking charges in the Main Street, which has been going on oh-so-slowly for the last few months, with the place being dug up to install the now-standard 'Pay and Display' ticket machines and their power lines and connection boxes in the footpath, plus numerous posts to carry the signs apparently now required every few metres, and of course, all the new lines that have to be painted on the roadside.

No wonder tempers are frayed!
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 22 - 31
Admin
December 6, 2016, 4:26pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
This one gets better, not only accused of knife attacks as per the original story, the nice couple also committed a robbery of an elderly woman...
Quoted Text
It is claimed that at Loancroft Place, Baillieston, Lafferty, 53, and Clark, 40, repeatedly stabbed them to their severe injury, danger of life and attempted to murder them.

Both accused are also accused of presenting a knife at Christine McCowan, 68, at the property, demanding money, forcing her upstairs and robbing her of £35.

Pair charged with attempted murder of father and son
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 23 - 31
Admin
December 7, 2016, 11:38pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
I SO NEED Scotland's gun and knife laws to be revised so I can be the male version of this nice lady when I go out for a walk

While the neds walk around fully 'tooled up', I worry about about being arrested and seeing the key being thrown away if dare put so much as a multi-tool in my pocket at home - and forget to empty and clear my pockets before heading out to the shops

cute from the outside
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 24 - 31
Admin
March 8, 2017, 6:05pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Off we go again!

I pass this pub on an almost daily basis when I'm out and about, and it's really quite nice, having had a number of facelifts over the years.

Of an evening it's generally full of mature adults having a nice sit down, a meal, and a drink.

It was once dark and dank, but the front was ripped off and replaced by floor to ceiling windows some time ago.

If anything, I'd expect 'bother' at the Railway Tavern across the road, it's the one with the 'live' (they claim to be) entertainers, karaoke torture sessions, and signs warning not to try coming in wearing football colours.

Glad I'm largely stuck indoors at the moment:
Quoted Text
Two men were allegedly stabbed at a Glasgow pub last night.

An eye witness claims a man attacked two regulars at the Kirkhouse Bar in Shettleston after bar staff refused to serve him.

Police arrived at the scene around 7pm and both victims were taken to hospital, however their condition is unknown.

One witness said: "It was chaos.

"Two guys got stabbed, one in the face and there was lots of blood.

"It's normally a nice quiet bar and you just don't expect something like that to happen."

Two men 'stabbed' at Glasgow pub as eye witness tells of horror scenes - Glasgow Live
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 25 - 31
Admin
March 10, 2017, 9:06am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Now they're just trying to run me down outright!

Odd car incident spotted on the run « Secret Scotland

At least I nearly always walk on the opposite side of the road here (but run on this side)
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 26 - 31
Admin
March 10, 2017, 12:49pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
No great reveal in the light of morning.

But at least some confirmations and corrections to things seen in the dark

After the ‘incident’ « Secret Scotland
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 27 - 31
Admin
April 14, 2017, 2:45pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
What the heck was going on here?

Man attacks passerby in Glasgow street before taking own life - The Scotsman

16:00 on a Thursday afternoon is just WAAAAAAAAAAY to close to my sort of haunting time and St Vincent Street is exactly where I'd be likely to be.

Killed himself with a Stanley knife?

Short sharp blade single edge blade, so not likely to be a stabbing injury, especially through clothes.

Has to be a well placed slash, or slashes, if death resulted after getting to hospital. Even blood loss would have been treatable in hospital, barring complication from the injuries.

Seems odd (going on limited info though).

Wonder if media will follow up with background?
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 28 - 31
Admin
April 14, 2017, 10:48pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
This one just gets weirder...

Claim attacks were targetted, then attacker kills himself.

Glasgow city centre death attack was not random - BBC News

More to come?

=====

Unconnected, but...

This has also be a regular path followed in recent times,

Man arrested over firearms search in Dennistoun - BBC News
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 29 - 31
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

SeSco    Secret Scotland    Around the country  ›  Another close call

Thread Rating