Welcome, Guest.
It's May 29, 2017, 12:14am.
Please login or register.
Home Page Take the High Road
SeSco    Secret Scotland    Around the country  ›  Take the High Road Moderators: Admin
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 25 Guests

Take the High Road  This thread currently has 3155 views. Print Print Thread
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Admin
April 16, 2016, 5:09pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
I don't suppose anyone else will admit to watching it, but STV Glasgow's run of Take the High Road has reached the period of the mid to late 1980s (1987 to be specific).

I'm sure I watched it originally, but have next to no recollection of the detail now, bar the characters, their parts, and the location, since Luss has at least a partial significance for me.

The issues that have arisen in the various plot-lines over the series have also surprised me with their seriousness, given the offhand dismissal of the series as Scotland's only soap. It may be naive, but it was never a huge, big-budget production, and I have grown to have a certain respect for it over the past few months of watching.

I was going to mention this anyway, but this thread moved me actually do it now:

Military Radio - What is it? - SeSco

If you weren't watching, then I'm afraid this storyline has just ended, so you missed the fun...

The big house and estate were recently bought over by some wealthy folk from London (following the arrival of crippling death duties after the lady of the house was killed in a car crash, forcing the sale to pay this demand).

While the story never went into any real detail... this was the time of the Cold War, and the plot dipped a foot into it

The gent who bought the estate appears to be a successful and wealthy businessman, with with wife and son from London, and that is what they believe too.

But, he's not, and has military contacts who visit, and he is approached by a 'foreign' gentleman with an accent (a  colonel no less)who is clearly an old friend, and approaches him on the basis of a business deal to change from his present company to his competitor.

Suffice to say, a lot of hints are dropped, but the colonel makes a fatal mistake, by going over his friend's head to make a deal.

The last we see of him is his departure by helicopter, which comes to the big house to collect him, and is flown not by staff from his friend's 'company' but personnel his own 'foreign' company.

Don't you wish you had been watching TTHR now?

Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail
FordPerfect
April 16, 2016, 8:35pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
I get the plot     better than the Thirty-Nine steps  

A eastern block consulate minion goes to Proops Bros. @ Tottenham Court Road with a shopping list of UK manufactured electronic components sends them off in a diplomatic bag.  They get built up as a replica of a Post Office receiver 24A with hidden circuit of a Transmitter too.  The sleeper foreign bad guy agent 075  by the supposed identity of  SD Demon drives in his second-hand Austin A35 from his non-descript Glasgow tenement up the High Road to Ullapool. On the stroke of midnight 10/5/1972 he inflates his Campari dinghy and rows out to the anchored Soviet factory ship to collect his Tx/Rx.   Then every weekend from 1972 until 1991  SD Demon tours every top secret military installation in Scotland and reports all back to his masters.  After the collapse of USSR  agent 075 hides his radio kit amongst his existing hobby stuff in his attic and lies low.  
                 Come Y2K  SD Demon considers he is a safe native , having moved upmarket to his semi-detached @ Parkhead, finds all his espionage notes in his attic.  With pre-retirement time to spare decides to have his own website calls it Scottish Secrets  - aiming to provide a common resource where old secrets, hidden or otherwise notable Points of Interest around Scotland, recorded and shared, and is modelled after the class-leading format of Wikipedia.
                   Then decides to raise a bob or two to pay the weeks groceries for self + loyal cat ,  trundles along to the Barras , breaks the arm of a Glaswegian Del-Boy for a grubby British Linen Bank £5 in return ,  15 min. later kyle's old man comes along spots a absolute bargain and hands over three £5 crisp Bank of England notes fresh out of Midlays hole-in-the wall ,and the rest is history.   I will leave you to weave in all the women , high life , sex, helicopters - you know all the normal plot bulk    
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 1 - 34
Russell W. Barnes
April 17, 2016, 6:45pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Illusion
My late ma-in-law was a big fan.  Wasn't it set in Balloch?  My wife's cousin also used to watch it in a different TV region which ran it a few episodes behind ours, and when she and the ma-in-law were on the phone, they had to be careful so as not to give the plot away!

I remember Davy Snedden, the 'bad guy', but I think he was much-maligned.  I remember the other characters, but not their names.  Not that I ever watched it, you understand!  It just happened to be 'on when I was in'.
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 2 - 34
Admin
April 17, 2016, 7:44pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Pay attention at the back!

I did actually mention Luss in my post

Davy Sneddon, I can assure you, was NOT much maligned.

A statement I can make on the basis of having freshly watched his character's assaults on people, using legal means at times, but happy employing thugs to burn them out of their homes to get their land, not to mention attempted rape.

Perhaps the 'fond memory' comes from his general failure to achieve his desired results, and becoming the butt of much derision, and contempt of the locals as he maintained his war against them. They would, in most cases, work to thwart his plans, and they did not necessarily do that by wholly legal means.

As I noted also in opening, TTHR may be naive and simple in its presentation, but it was actually quite serious for some of the characters, with murder and violence being part of the plot.
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 3 - 34
Russell W. Barnes
April 17, 2016, 8:40pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Illusion
Quoted from Admin
Pay attention at the back!

I did actually mention Luss in my post

So you did!   I must've taken the Low Road.   It disappeared from our schedules before the current storylines were introduced so my view of the characters is coloured only by what I saw.  I wonder if there's still Governmental influence on 'soap operas' ('The Archers; very early Emmerdale) to influence real life?  I suspect it would be remarkably easy - too easy, in fact - to build upon topics subtly, piecemeal, and without hectoring and lecturing to getting the GBP to accept and tolerate whatever is required.

Just as long as there's a happy ending.    

Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 4 - 34
Admin
April 17, 2016, 9:19pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Just my opinion, but I doubt the companies making the soaps would cooperate, being more interested in keeping their scripts relevant to subjects that keep their sponsors happy.

And that means viewer figures and enough controversy of some sort to keep their profile high enough.

Any sort of Government sponsored preaching would soon impact on that, and unless it was prepared to write the cheques when the sponsors walked, the series would waste away.

TTHR was small and naive, and even though it reflected real life (in the sense that any TV/drama is real life, but scripted) did not have a great catchment, and limited appeal, especially to the young, as it was based in a community that was almost by definition 'old', not in the sense of being ancient aged, but made up of adults.

In fact, one of the constant plot-lines was the lack of young people in the village, or anything to keep them there, as they would generally leave as soon as they were old enough. And this was matched by the parallel problem of nothing for them - either in terms of interest, or by way of jobs to give them money to stay.

As I write, one of the plot-lines is about to move into the area of Alzheimer's disease, or senile dementia as it was more commonly known then, and not just how it affects the gent concerned, but his family (daughter) and those in the immediate community.

But...

Let's not be too miserable, as there was always the comic relief of a few of the 'typecast' characters, although even they could be regarded as 'poisonous' and dangerous, able to ruin relationships with their gossip and holier-than-thou Godly self-righteousness.
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 5 - 34
FordPerfect
April 17, 2016, 9:44pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Reminds me  ,  I should watch Trainspotting - as I have forgotten the plot.  Don't have it on video or CD - however seems free to watch on the internet  
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 6 - 34
Admin
May 6, 2016, 10:29am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Update on items mentioned.

Davy Sneddon has not featured since the end of his last storyline.

This saw him, or rather his employer since he is just the estate manager, being taken by criminal couple and the big house having its most valuable contents stolen. She posed as a housekeeper, and also led him, pretending to have fallen in love with him (while doing the same thing with one of the villagers - to steal his money, and get a lift to the station on the day she left, pretending that Sneddon had been sexually harassing her. Her real partner posed as her sick brother, limping around while waiting to be admitted to hospital for a hip operation, but actually casing the house and selecting the spoils.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he eventually gets 'turned around', as I do have memories of him in the bar, and ordering his tipple with the locals. At the moment, the relationship is still one that would see them pour the Bushmills Irish whisky over him, and set light to it, rather than drink in the same room.

The Alzheimer's/dementia story has just ended, with the daughter having been unwilling to place her increasingly deluded father in care, even after he tried to strangle/kill her one day. and she is coming apart at the seams trying to cope.

Convinced the whole village is out to get him, he takes a can of petrol into the church, which he sees as their meeting place. After dousing the pews with the fuel, he is talked down by an old friend as prepares to strike a match while standing in the pool.

I've been there, and they really did this well, nothing like the modern soaps that do this badly nowadays, spending too much time 'getting the message over', and forgetting the reality.

TTHR may not have the supposed production values of a modern soap (or drama), but it is actually all the more powerful for that simplicity, and lack of contrived plot which ruins nearly all modern productions.

It's almost comparable to the original 'Prisoner Cell Block H', an Australian production from many years ago which I just happened to see most of since it was then considered late night TV, and handy for insomniacs everywhere

It came in for a lot of derision in later years, and I wouldn't say it was a great series. but...

Out of curiosity, I watched the first few episodes of a present day remake which was aired here some months ago.

It made me cringe.

Every cliche, ever trope, every stereotype was used and milked to the full.

As a result, you could predict every plot and every character.

Terrible would be a compliment - I don't think I made it to the end of the third episode before I decided having my eyes dyed would be more enjoyable that watching any more.
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 7 - 34
Admin
May 19, 2016, 7:40pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Don't know if STV has just made a massive howler on the TTHR rerun.

The copyright date at the end of the episodes has jumped from 1987 to 1988, and the storylines have changed 'overnight'.

Isabel Blair is in hospital recovering from cancer surgery, and about to undergo radio-therapy - yesterday she was in the shop, heartbroken over the anniversary of son Jimmy's murder a year before, and an a memoriam message that appeared in the paper, and she didn't like.

Davy Sneddon has suddenly become manager of the Glendarroch estate, yet was manager of Leterfalloch yesterday (and had not featured since the big house was robbed by a couple).

Kid David Lachlan is just cleared of being a thief - in a story that has clearly run for a while.

Glendarroch's gamekeeper and water bailiff is no longer employed by the estate, and has moved away, with a new house being made ready and his wife waiting to join him.

Eddie Ramsey is back in his house with Sheila, and is wounded from beatings given to him by NCOs as he joined the Army and refused o be bullied by them, He's also clearly deserted, and has been accidentally shot by local poacher, and after seeing the doctor, is now of interest to the police (as a victim) since the doctor was legally obliged to report the gunshot wound.

There was more (people's appearance and hairstyles for example), but...

That seems like rather a lot to have happened between two consecutive episodes.

I don't recall TTHR plots moving THAT rapidly!

Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 8 - 34
Admin
May 20, 2016, 4:43pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Well, that was interesting

After yestarday's 'time-hop' one year into the future if Glendarroch - we're back on track in normal time, with everything more or less as it was before this jaunt.

What I can't work out for sure not is whether or not STV just inserted the 1988 episode into the schedule (as an extra) or replaced one of he 1987 episodes by playing the later episode in error, so we've actually lost, or missed, one.

I believe one of the skills needed for writing 'soap' scripts is to include sufficient references to past event in order for viewers who have missed episodes to  be able to return without feeling they have missed whole chunks, and can pick up storylines without feeling they are missing too much.

This means that missing one episode can be hard to detect if you are not already aware of your failure to 'Pay attention at the back!' as it were.

So, I see a number of the incidents that had just taken place have continued as expected, but...

The addition of one or two new incidents being dealt with suggest that we have in fact lost an episode as a result of this later episode being screened.

There was one scene which we knew had to take place, given the info gained from the misplaced later episode.

Davy Sneddon, estate manager at the Shaw's Leterfalloch big house is about to meet his employers as they returned in this (correct) episode, and are about to sell up following the robbery.

Although Sneddon was not fired for letting the robbery happen on his watch, they are looking forward to telling him they are selling up, and that he's put of a job.

Even they didn't like him!

But then again, he did try it on with Mrs Shaw, so...
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 9 - 34
Admin
May 23, 2016, 1:58pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
STV gone and done good

After the howler they made during the week, when they slotted an ep of TTHR from 1988 into the current 1987 slot...

And compounded things by broadcasting the same 1988 ep in the following day's repeat slot!

The fixed it at the weekend, with the Sunday omnibus repeat of all the preceding week's episode.

I recorded the lot, not really expecting the fix, but could barely believe it when the CORRECT 1987 episode popped up in the Thursday slot, instead of the misplaced 1988 one.

I haven't done it yet, but I think I should send them an email and say thanks, or they might not bother next time, and assume nobody noticed/bothered!

Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 10 - 34
Admin
May 31, 2016, 12:36pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Since I reckon most TV companies only get complaints via email most of the time, I did drop them a 'Thank You' for scheduling the correct ep after the later one slipped in.

I got a reply (not that they don't answer, as I did get a couple when I moaned - as opposed to complained - about a problem I was having with scheduled recordings of the same prog).
Quoted Text
Thank you for your email and for your kind comments.

Unfortunately there was a technical issue meaning the wrong episode was transmitted on Thursday 19th May. We were as you correctly pointed out able to broadcast the correct episode within the omnibus edition on the Sunday afternoon however we do aplogise for the inconvenience the issue caused.
Thank you again for taking the time to get in touch; viewer feedback of any kind is always welcome here at STV.
Kind Regards
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 11 - 34
Admin
November 18, 2016, 3:22am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
It's been funny/odd watching TTHR recently.

I couldn't remember for sure, being a while ago, but I did think I stopped watching the original run for some reason I now forget.

That's confirmed as I has some memories of the early episodes, but that has dried up completely now, and I have no clue as to the current content.

However, I do recall picking it up again, when it was announced that STV was going to kill it off.

Tonight's was a bit of a surprise - and confirmation I was not watching.

A wedding led to a surprise for the bride, a white Rolls Royce to take her to the church.

And the Rolls? It really was a hire car for weddings, and I knew it, and to be honest, it was... old a ropey. A Shadow, or Shadow II.

As seen on screen, with its original registration, this belonged to one of my neighbours, only a few doors along the road - and the registration was tied to the name of his business.

And that was also a few doors along from out business at the time - no way I would not have noticed that at the time, or forgotten it, so I was definitely NOT watching,

He didn't stay here for long, and moved in up market, also changed his reg from the business to his own initials.

Now a funny story, his little garage-type business was then such a source of dirt from the vehicles that many of the adjacent businesses complained to the estate managers, It was so bad they wanted him shut down and thrown out, and he had to clean up and move. Didn't hurt though, as he just got bigger!
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 12 - 34
JadeFalcon
November 21, 2016, 11:49pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Enigma
I never watched the series but my Mum did for some time.  Was there ever an explanation as to why the name changed from Take the High Road to just High Road.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail ICQ ICQ Skype Skype Reply: 13 - 34
Admin
November 22, 2016, 11:06am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Did it?

I've heard people use the name when speaking about the series, but to honest, had not considered it a name change, but merely laziness in the speaker, or just shortening for either convenience, or as a familiar nickname.

I will take a closer look now that it's been raised.

Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 14 - 34
Admin
November 22, 2016, 5:23pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Beginning 19 February 1980 as 'Take the High Road', from 22 July 1994, the series' name was changed to just High Road, until it was cancelled in April 2003.

There were more names on the board:

The fictitious estate and village of Glendarroch (Luss in reality) was once Glendhu, and there were problem:

The series name of 'The Glendhu Factor ' was dropped as it was thought some viewers in other ITV markets might not have been able to cope, and the fictitious village's was renamed to Glendarroch.

'High Road - Low Road' was also proposed, but was also dropped, as it was thought to sound more like a take-away shop.

Other than noting the name change in 1994, nobody seems to give a specific reason...

So I'll just stick with my original thoughts of familiarity leading to the shortening, or less charitably, laziness and the 'Need for Speed' of the 1990s, since it was quicker for the TV announcer, and less effort for their poor overtaxed voices. Maybe cheaper too, if the studio had to pay them 'By the word'!

Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 15 - 34
Admin
November 29, 2016, 1:49am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
TTHR has just had one of those 'odd' moment

A long-running character has been replace by another actress, and it's a little odd to see the cast carry on, and talk the 'new' face as if she was the old one, and nothing had changed.

Alice Taylor (Barbara Rafferty replaces Muriel Romanes).

I wondered why the change, but none of the series' sites seemed to even mention this, just the fact that there was a change.

I did eventually hit on the reason (just decided to give it up to do something else - in the quote below) and find it odd that she refers merely to a 'soap opera' and does not even acknowledge the name, although it must have been responsible for what she then refers to "But because of my profile on TV I was being offered leading parts"...
Quoted Text
I reached the fork in the road when I decided to give up my acting career and become a director.  I had spent some time in a soap opera and my enthusiasm for acting was becoming less challenging in a creative way. But because of my profile on TV I was being offered leading parts and, although really wonderful to be challenged, I needed to have directors who could help me navigate my way through these challenges.  I did not have that and this was the reason for taking the directors path, to make sure that I could and would excite people to create “extraordinary” things.  Art is the business of creating new realities.  This may seem arrogant in the extreme but I wish I had had someone who would have made my acting career more exciting.  It has always been my desire to enthuse and inspire others and infect others with a passion for theatre.
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 16 - 34
Admin
December 1, 2016, 6:59pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Watching TTHR this week showed how out of touch with reality story writers can be.

The 'Big House' (owner of the estate) is always in trouble due to lack of money, but scrapes by in various ways... last one being the owner (last buyer) subsidising it as he thought it could keep his family together. When that failed he decided to sell up, but his kids asked for a chance to keep it if they made it a 'going concern'.

The writer made their step of dismissing the (long established) staff look easy, and an instant fix to save some money.

I've done this, and it doesn't work that way.

In fact, it cost more in 'compulsory redundancy' payments than keeping the staff affected on for a year - and although they knew why they lost their jobs, I was not slow to receive their letters demanding their redundancy payments immediately, or I'd be hearing from their solicitors.

Television doesn't always reflect reality.

Oh maybe it does, since the couple left in the Big House are now being treated 'like lepers' for firing the staff, as the villagers think they are living a life of luxury after the savings they made - unaware that the estate is on its backside, and their village (part of the estate) is in the same danger of going bust if the folk they are giving a hard time can't make it pay.
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 17 - 34
JadeFalcon
December 1, 2016, 9:14pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Enigma
Indeed soaps can be like that with characters often pleading poverty, yet they will make frequent visits to the local pub and/or cafe/bistros/restaurants despite said premises being only a short distance from their houses and thereby home cooking being cheaper, or cheap drink from the rarely seen supermarkets being a substitute.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail ICQ ICQ Skype Skype Reply: 18 - 34
Admin
December 1, 2016, 9:44pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret

Or Big Issue sellers yacking into their mobile phones while pleading for money from folk trying to get out of the shop doorway they are blocking

Or the 'Begging Shifts' I've spotted in Glasgow recently.

The standard format seems to be to arrange team member on seat made from polystyrene slabs, so the their bottoms don't get cold.

Behind them is often a pile of discarded expensive (£2.50 each) cardboard coffee cups from Costa and the like, and takeaway bags for burgers etc.

If you watch them for long enough then you'll see regular 'shift changes' as a mate comes in to take over the patch, after a nice cheery chat.

The the new team member puts on a miserable face, and starts the oscillating paper cup, which they all seem to have now.

I'm reminded of the poor legless beggar in India, who featured on YouTube a while back...

It was remarkable how he suddenly grew a pair of legs and ran away - when a passer-by grabbed his tucked in robes from behind, and heaved his legs out of them!

Given how his legs were fold up to hide them, I was amazed he had any circulation and was even able to run - unless the thought of being beaten in the street 'gave him wings"
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 19 - 34
Admin
December 1, 2016, 11:13pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
There's one 'gent' who has a different 'appeal' in Glasgow city centre.

He's a giant of a fellow, and begs while kneeling - even so he is almost the same height as folk walking around him, so I guess would be approaching 7 feet tall if standing.

He just rocks back and forth on his knees repeating 'Please, please...' and holding his hand out.

I can't comment on actual circumstances, but I noticed that kneeling shows his shoes, and his soles are better than mine.

I came home the other night and could have wrung my socks out, as the day had started dry (so I didn't select a 'good' pair of shoes), but got wet later on, and I paid for my mistake.

The city centre is getting packed with beggars, it's now like when I used to go to London years ago.

So busy, as I walk in there I am now passing beggars with their oscillating paper cups sitting on the pavement in Duke Street.

Begging on the streets of the east end?

That HAS to be hopeful - we are supposed the poorest of poor according to the media!
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 20 - 34
Admin
December 3, 2016, 12:06am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
I might seem to be harsh, but any harshness is directed towards those pretending to be homeless or otherwise down on their luck, they deserve all they get - and I don't mean money or handouts.

We've seen the media watch and uncover con-artists, people who beg on the street, then leave at night to jump in a car and go home to a nice warm house and family.

And I'm too much of a people-watcher, or just nosey, as I have the time to do that while out walking, and I don't like what I often see.

I'm probably (in certain respects) also too close to homelessness, or something similar, to be tolerant of any who abuse the help on offer.

I think I'd fall below most modern definitions of poverty though, as I do not have (and I'd have to say I do not want) a number of items that not having is used as a measure of deciding if someone is living in poverty.

Coincidentally, the BBC just ran a feature on the subject - at least I've made it past 47...

BBC iWonder - How close to homelessness am I?

And relevance to TTHR?

At the moment, the plot includes the story of an old lady who almost died for lack of heating, and lives in house with the black mould crawling out the door.

The bottom line is that her daughter was being blamed, but the real culprit turn out to be the local councillor, who had promised to get the old lady's house brought up to standard, and organise all the grant and benefits she was due.

In reality, as soon as the daughter went home to her family, the councillor promptly dropped the lot and forgot about it (and everything else in the village - earning himself the nickname of 'The Invisible Man') and is (allegedly of course ) using his position as a councillor to funnel all council contract to his own company.

Some say... he's not allowed to do that
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 21 - 34
Admin
December 4, 2016, 1:57am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
As some time has passed, I had perhaps better note that the fictional village of Glendarroch depicted in TTHR was in reality the village of Luss, on the banks of Loch Lomond.

It's a place I've been to many time in the past, but I had never been aware of any connection to the slate industry.

In fact, I had no idea the area had been home to a slate quarry.

Bar the village and the banks of the loch, it's not even a place I had wandered far from - preferring not to cross the A82 (some people on it ?

But it seems it was quite a place for the slate, and a

Centuries of slates from Luss
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 22 - 34
Admin
December 9, 2016, 8:47pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
ANOTHER great week of accurate PVR recording from STV Glasgow

Wednesday:

Failed to record 11:30 morning broadcast (but did set correctly for next one on Thursday).

Failed to record 16:30 evening  broadcast (but did set correctly for next one on Thursday).

Friday:

Same as Wednesday, failed to record either broadcast, but did set itself for next pair on Monday.

Also...

Just noticed that Taggart scheduled is screwed for next week!

Unusually, I got ALL 3 episodes this week, but...

See that instead of being set to start recording Part 1 next week on Tuesday at 21:05...

The PVR is set to start next week by recording PART 2 on Wednesday, so missing out Part 1.

I've emailed STV about this in the past, but as I said already, they say the company responsible says the data was correct at time of transmission.
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 23 - 34
Admin
December 15, 2016, 8:58pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
This TTHR recording effort is becoming a farce, and complaining (or reporting) previously got me nowhere - they checked and said all was 'OK'.

Last week, one day saw both the morning repeat and later scheduled episode fail to record on the same day.

And a couple f days later, the scheduled episode didn't record.

This wee:

Monday saw both the am and pm episodes fail to be recorded.

And today, again, both the am and pm broadcasts were not recorded.

Although there was no recording, the schedule had stepped on to the next episode in the series.

As a test, I had set today's episodes to be single recording (ie NOT setting the recorder to record the next episode automatically) - no difference, did not record, and the even was deleted (as if it had).

Oh well...

We'll see how tomorrow goes, and I'll have to watch the morning repeat of today's evening ep.

Or hope to catch it on the Sunday omnibus.

As noted, I only seem to have this regular problem with STV Glasgow (TTHR and Taggart), and bar an odd exception, all the others seem to be reliable.

I guess I may have to keep a 'diary', and dump a month's worth of failures on STV, rather than just a lot of individual complaints.

Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 24 - 34
Admin
December 15, 2016, 10:53pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Just to add to the irritation, I looked over at a little after 9 pm and...

Taggart was NOT recording

At least I could hit the button.

And later, I checked and noted it was set to start on next week's episode come Tuesday (if I'm lucky ).
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 25 - 34
Admin
December 20, 2016, 9:20pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Good start to the week (not):

Monday morning - no 11:30 recording, and instead of setting the 20th for next in the series, it was set to the 23rd. (Left this as was since I had the 16:30 recording ok).

Tuesday morning - no 11:30 recording, but the date of the next one was set for the 21st. 16:30 was ok.
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 26 - 34
Admin
December 21, 2016, 11:43pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Yet ANOTHER good day...

Both the morning and the evening episodes failed to be recorded again.

And while both should be set to record next on the 21st, the morning one is showing as being set for the 23rd.

Guess I will have to be around tomorrow at 11:30 or depend on Sunday
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 27 - 34
Admin
December 22, 2016, 1:10pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
And the fun goes on...

I was lucky to catch the morning repeat, as the recording did NOT START!

Looking at the schedule, while I expected the morning date to be for the 23rd now (ie tomorrow)...

I saw that this evening's 16:30 recording was now showing the 23rd (tomorrow) as well!

And at this time (noon), that recording has not even taken place, so the date SHOULD be 22nd.

I wonder if this one will start this afternoon, at least I will be here, if I can only remember
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 28 - 34
Admin
December 22, 2016, 4:37pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Lucky!

Just happened to glance at clock (just after 16:30) and then the recorder to see...

NOT RECORDING TTHR

This really is becoming a joke, and as I've said, last time I tried to ask STV, all they could say was that it was not actually them, but another company that dealt with the coding.

Perhaps I need to come up with some sort of 'imaginative' way to make the same complaint or enquiry, and see if anything useful happens.

I'll also have to look at the schedule later, and see when the recorder thinks (or has been told) the next episodes are due.

Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 29 - 34
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

SeSco    Secret Scotland    Around the country  ›  Take the High Road

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread