Welcome, Guest.
It's May 23, 2017, 4:42pm.
Please login or register.
Home Page Lynx could roam our woods again
SeSco    Secret Scotland    Around the country  ›  Lynx could roam our woods again Moderators: Admin
Users Browsing Forum
Baidu Spider and 16 Guests

Lynx could roam our woods again  This thread currently has 7910 views. Print Print Thread
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
FordPerfect
March 9, 2015, 12:12pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail
Admin
March 9, 2015, 6:44pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Oh DM we so love you

Only YOU could print a pic of a Scottish wildcat...

And caption it with a comment about lynx.

Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 1 - 69
Admin
March 9, 2015, 7:25pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
I think this a lynx, but I'm not sure any longer, having been 'educated' by the DM :

While I am NOT suggesting a bobat is a lynx (but they are related) while I have not come face to face with a lynx, I have met a bobcat or two.

Unfortunately, I can't pop up for another look, but they did have bobocats in the little zoo in Palacerigg Country Park, Cumbernauld.

Liked them
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 2 - 69
FordPerfect
March 9, 2015, 8:24pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
A 70 lb lynx looks sort of cuddly ,  fancy bumping into a  70 lb Scottish wild cat  - now that would put the DM readership in fear of the lives ,  what was intended  
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 3 - 69
FordPerfect
March 9, 2015, 8:57pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 4 - 69
Admin
March 9, 2015, 9:01pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
I have to be honest here...

Meeting a 70+lb genuine Scottish wildcat is one of the thing that would have me running out of the woods at speed

For guidance, I reckon these examples don't make 50 lb - I am guessing, but there was a pic of a 42 lb cat on show this morning, and it was similar:

That face - anybody thinking of Garfield?:

Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 5 - 69
Admin
March 9, 2015, 9:23pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Have a look here, pics of Jan 20, 2015...

Real pics of lynx and wilcat taken at the Scottish Deer Centre

Flickr: Michelle O'Connell Photography's Photostream

Not shared unfortunately, so no samples, you'll have to go look at the photostream itself.
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 6 - 69
Admin
March 10, 2015, 2:15am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Training photograph No 1:

If you come across a cat that looks anything like the one above, with kittens, then DO NOT say "Awwww..." and approach to pet. They kill giraffes, so a man would be no problem

At best you will need to get a bag to put your hand/fingers in, at worst you will need to have the mother cat surgically removed!

Fortunately, you are unlikely to come across the example shown above in Scotland - it is the black-footed cat, the smallest African cat/

Black-footed cats are highly unsociable animals that seek refuge at the slightest disturbance. When cornered, they are known to defend themselves fiercely. Due to this habit and their courage, they are called miershooptier (anthill tiger in Afrikaans) in parts of the South African karoo, although they rarely use termite mounds for cover or for bearing their young. A San legend claims that a black-footed cat can kill a giraffe by piercing its jugular. This exaggeration is intended to emphasize the bravery and tenacity of the animal.
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 7 - 69
FordPerfect
March 10, 2015, 1:09pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Ears down warning  
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 8 - 69
FordPerfect
March 11, 2015, 12:47pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 9 - 69
Admin
March 11, 2015, 9:55pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Training pic No 2:

We've dealt with staying safe in the country, so next we have staying safe in the city

When you turn the corner and see this, then you know you've wandered into the wrong end of town, and should make a discreet withdrawal, avoiding drawing any attention to yourself...

And if you're very very lucky - it won't be the last thing you see

Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 10 - 69
FordPerfect
April 27, 2015, 9:53pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
http://www.secretscotland.org.uk/forum/m-1387290498/s-3/#num3

Kielder     Been right in the middle of the forrest , the only people who will see Lynx there would be expert trackers  

That is unless they cross the border        Those giant ginger rats at Hawick may be good food  
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 11 - 69
Admin
May 6, 2015, 9:48pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Did I mention I hate unions (yes, probably )

I missed the chance to mention it at the time, but I noted that the NFU (National Farmer's Union) had registered its opposition to the reintroduction of lynx to Scotland, in order to "Protect its members".

(More likely they are gearing up a future claim for compensation payouts or somesuch.)

As I recall, there was a robust rebuttal, quoting studies that showed lynx were unlikely to predate farm animals - a few sheep might go missing, if at all.

Back in the real world, the plan is still being considered:
Quoted Text
Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH) has set out its position on the possible reintroduction of lynx to Scotland.

The big cats became extinct in the UK 1,300 years ago.

Lynx UK Trust, a charity, wants to reintroduce the animals to selected locations in the UK and has requested a meeting with SNH.

In a statement, SNH said reintroductions were "complex" and needed "considerable planning" to meet UK and international guidelines.

An area near Huntly in Aberdeenshire has been indentified (sic) as a potential location for releasing Eurasian lynx.

SNH has been involved in the reintroduction of sea eagles and rare woolly willows and also a trial release of European beavers.

Scottish agency sets out position on bringing back lynx - BBC News
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 12 - 69
FordPerfect
May 6, 2015, 9:52pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
NFU will be badgering for a huge  RPA  (Rural Payment Agency)  bonus(s)  
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 13 - 69
Admin
May 7, 2015, 8:58am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Lynx are free to roam in England...

And the NFU would run away if this one arrived  

What?

It IS a Lynx!

Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 14 - 69
Admin
July 15, 2015, 10:37pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Lynx story (and wolves) - still live

Call for lynx and wolf reintroduction - BBC News

Don't know who added/invited the wild boar.

I have a fancy that wild boar are actually bad guys, and more dangerous to humans that the other two.

Sure I heard someone who knew about them say they were nasty, and if they took off they would just run straight through you if you were unlucky enough to be in their path.
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 15 - 69
Admin
July 17, 2015, 8:14am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Battle lines have been drawn...

Let the war begin!
Quoted Text
Plans to re-introduce large predators such as lynx and wolves to the UK have been criticised by the Scottish Crofting Federation (SCF).

New campaigning group Rewilding Britain wants to restore several key species which were hunted to extinction.

Its supporters argue other European countries are home to large predators.

The SCF described the campaign as "blinkered" and said it ignored centuries of changes to the environment since the animals died out in the UK.

Chairwoman Fiona Mandeville said: "You can't just turn the clock back and parachute species into a changed environment.

"Of course there are iconic species that need protection such as the red squirrel.

"But the re-introduction of large predators such as eagles and wolves, and destructive pests such as beavers, makes no sense as the environment has changed so much since they were last here."
'Livelihoods threatened'

She added: "I know traditional small-scale farmers in Sweden who find their livelihoods threatened by re-introduced wolves preying on stock. Some have given up farming as a result.

"There are enough threats already to crofting agriculture without this.

Re-introducing big predators wrong, says crofting federation - BBC News

Pictures packs of rabid wolves and lynx carrying out raids on crofters and dragging them off to the hills for 'dinner'.

I knew there would some group of haters and naysayers that was bound to appear as these proposals moved towards reality, but given the controls and limitations suggested in the initial plans I didn't expect it to begin with a group I was have descibed as 'responsible'.
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 16 - 69
FordPerfect
July 17, 2015, 10:26am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Obviously  ,  Scottish Crofting Federation (SCF) are clamoring for more farmers DOLE from the RPA  (Rural Payments Agency)  -  their choice hobby  / subsistance farming - what other industry but farming now gets state hand-outs     ,  come across a few of them "Crofters" in my camping days up the west coast -  £  greedy grabbing bar-stewards who wait 8 months of the year idle until the tourist season  , drop-outs who prey    
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 17 - 69
Admin
July 17, 2015, 8:56pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
BEAVER BABIES

Awwww...

I imagine the National Union of Lumberjacks (and Jills of course) complained bitterly about these guys, and all the trees they would steal, leading to it member becoming destitute, losing their homes and families, and ultimately throwing themselves off tall building (since there were not trees left for them to climb and jump from)
Quoted Text
Footage of a new beaver kit in the Knapdale Forest in Argyll has been released by the Scottish Beaver Trial (SBT).

It is the first young beaver to be spotted at the trial site this year.

SBT said it suspects further breeding has occurred but is yet to be captured on camera.

The trial is the first licensed reintroduction of a mammal to the UK and has brought the beaver back to Scotland after a 400-year absence.

Footage of Scots beaver kit released - BBC News
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 18 - 69
Admin
July 20, 2015, 9:14am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Better be careful...

See example of squirrel crime wave!

German police ARREST SQUIRREL for stalking woman • The Register
Quoted Text
The incident was the second such occurrence of bad behaviour by tree rats of late.

Last week a drunk squirrel caused hundreds of pounds worth of damage to a pub in Worcestershire.

The owner opened the door of his pub to find the joint ransacked.
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 19 - 69
Admin
July 23, 2015, 2:43pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
So...

Let the hating begin.

The lynx and wolves will have no chance if cute little beavers are going to be blamed for any floods.

I reckon it's lucky we don't burn witches any longer - any living around Alyth might have been treated to a torchlight procession after the floods!

But, there might be some beavers nearby, so...
Quoted Text
BEAVERS have been blamed for causing flash floods that devastated a village last week.

Residents in Alyth, Perthshire, believe the animals built dams upstream, which were swept downstream by torrential rain on ­Friday.

They say some of the debris washed through the village showed clear signs of having been chewed by the rodents.

Alex Stoddart, director of the Scottish Association for Country Sports (SACS), said several members had reported seeing wood in the Alyth burn which bore tooth marks from beavers.

He said: “We have been told by residents that there are clear beaver marks. We are concerned by reports from local residents and members affected by the flooding, that beaver lodge material may have been an exacerbating factor.

“From our knowledge of Canada and Europe, beavers can have an effect on flooding but if they had an effect on Alyth is not known.

But beaver supporters rejected claims that material from dams upstream of the town were brought down by the ­torrential rain.

Paul Ramsay, who owns the Bamff estate where some beavers live, said: “There could conceivably have been a twig or two that had come from beavers, I wouldn’t deny that was a possibility, but the catchment area of the Alyth burn covers about 36sq km.

“The contribution from Bamff to that is tiny.

“As for the debris, as the water flowed down through the Den of Alyth it picked up an enormous amount of wood. It is exaggerated out of all proportion.”

Residents blame Beavers for flash floods in Alyth - The Scotsman

This little fellow was clearly luckier than the beavers, and was fortunate to end up in Aberfeldy, and not Alyth, where he'd probably have been roasted:
Quoted Text
A three-week-old otter cub has been found in a car park after severe flooding.

The tiny creature, who has since been named Ripple, was discovered at Taymouth Marina in Aberfeldy, Perthshire, on July 17.

He is now being cared for at the Scottish SPCA’s National Wildlife Rescue Centre in Clackmannanshire.

Baby otter found in Aberfeldy car park after flood - The Scotsman
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 20 - 69
Admin
July 24, 2015, 11:23pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
MORE beaver babies!

I wonder which floods the little guys will eventually be blamed foe?

Footage of second Scots beaver kit revealed - BBC News
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 21 - 69
Admin
November 6, 2015, 9:37pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
I used to watch the 'Community Channel' for a while, some months back, but it's content is largely static, so once you have seen the subset of programmes that interest you, there's not much to keep you going back.

But the programmes still appear in my daily summary, and I watch for anything new that might be of interest, and not be a repeat.

Glancing at the list tonight, I saw a programme called 'Wilding Scotland', so had to have a look as I had not spotted it before.

If you get the chance, and this interests you, then it's well worth catching.

The title describes the subject content, so little more need be said, and it does give a mix of views on the subject from various contributors.

I'm sold

It covers the lynx (amongst other species suggested for re-introduction), and after learning that lynx predate on deer, they can bring the lynx back any time they like. Seems they also alter the deer's habits, and make them hide away. Ideal, especially if it keeps this dumbest thing on four legs away from the road.
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 22 - 69
Admin
March 1, 2016, 11:50pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 23 - 69
FordPerfect
March 2, 2016, 4:11pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
QUOTE  (BBC report)  quoting  Camperdown zoo keeper Hannah Colgan

"I think wolves are a signature species for this particular park.

-------

wtf is a  signature species  ,  obviously some zoological  management speak    

https://www.wordnik.com/words/signature%20species
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 24 - 69
FordPerfect
March 28, 2016, 6:14pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Looks like Lynx could be reintroduced to Northern England / Scotland  

The return of the lynx - BBC News
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 25 - 69
Admin
April 1, 2016, 3:53pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
While you are avoiding the lynx...

You will have to be careful not to run into the dangerous man-eating racoon!

Public warned not to approach escaped Highland raccoon

Good story for April 1.

Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 26 - 69
Admin
April 1, 2016, 6:47pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Photies!

So, it wasn't and April Fool's Day story after all...

Escaped raccoon caught on camera in Garve in Wester Ross - BBC News
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 27 - 69
FordPerfect
June 24, 2016, 8:22pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 28 - 69
Admin
June 24, 2016, 9:33pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Aww...

Good job we seem to be doing better here

Plan to bring back wild lynx to Scotland moves closer - The Scotsman

Trust hopes to raise £50,000 to bring lynx back to Britain

Poor old crofters, they will 'resist' the lynx which they seem to think will eat all their sheep.

More seriously, the level of ignorance, or just laziness and not bothering to find out about lynx, is little short of shocking.

To read some of them, you would think that the only understanding they have of the word 'predator' is having watched the science fiction horror flick of the same name, and then immediately bought a ticket to follow up with watching 'Alien v Predator'.
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 29 - 69
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

SeSco    Secret Scotland    Around the country  ›  Lynx could roam our woods again

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread