Welcome, Guest.
It's April 26, 2017, 1:42pm.
Please login or register.
Home Page Nessie has left the room
SeSco    Secret Scotland    Civilian  ›  Nessie has left the room Moderators: Admin
Users Browsing Forum
Baidu Spider, Googlebot and 17 Guests

Nessie has left the room  This thread currently has 14028 views. Print Print Thread
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 » All Recommend Thread
Admin
February 8, 2014, 8:53pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
There's an obvious joke I can't make this year, so just assume I did
Quoted Text
For the first time in almost 90 years no "confirmed sightings" have been made of the Loch Ness Monster, a veteran Nessie spotter has said.

Gary Campbell, who keeps a register of sightings, said no-one had come forward in 18 months to say they had seen the monster.

Bookmaker William Hill also said the three entries to its annual Nessie spotting contest could be explained.

They were images of a wave, a duck and a picture not even taken on Loch Ness.

Mr Campbell said it was the first time since 1925 that there had been no confirmed reports of the monster.

He said: "It's very upsetting news and we don't know where she's gone.

"The number of sightings has been reducing since the turn of the century but this is the first time in almost 90 years that Nessie wasn't seen at all."

No Loch Ness Monster sightings for first time since 1925

Guaranteed to be back next year...

No matter how hard someone has to work to 'arrange' it

Wonder if it has anything to do with Photoshop moving to a cloud-based model, as opposed to a software package that can be bought, and pirated?

Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail
Admin
February 11, 2014, 9:35am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Absence has been noted
Quoted Text
There are many myths lurking in the cold Scottish highlands, including legends of "water horses" — creatures associated with rivers and lakes that resemble normal horses, but are actually both magical and deadly: Should anyone try to mount a water horse, it will accept the rider, then gallop to a nearby lake or river, drown its rider, then eat his flesh, one myth goes. Though some of these legends and stories may have inspired some of the claims about the Loch Ness monster, Nessie is, of course, not a magical horse, but instead believed to be a very real, living and breathing aquatic creature resembling a long-necked dinosaur.

Skeptics would suggest there is likely no monster in the lake at all. But this news about the lack of sightings poses a big problem for those who believe in the creature's existence. The fact that no Nessie report has been registered in 18 months means that, even if it existed, it is likely no longer there.

Though people often speak of Nessie as a solitary (often female) animal, if it exists there must be more than one in the lake — at least dozens if not hundreds. This changes the equation and deepens the mystery, because with so many of them allegedly living in the lake they should be seen much more often. It defies logic to believe a group of unknown monsters lives in the lake — which has many local residents and tens of thousands of monster-seeking tourists all around it — and not a single one surfaces to be seen. Think of it this way: If over a year went by without a single sighing of a giraffe, rhino or horse, the most logical — and the most tragic — explanation would be that they had all died out. Extinction is the only reason that large animals simply vanish like that.

Is the Loch Ness Monster Dead? | LiveScience
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 1 - 96
FordPerfect
February 11, 2014, 12:29pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
The dark secret of the depths ,  Nessie was [REFERENCE DELETED BY MODERATOR]    

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/article211566.ece
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 2 - 96
FordPerfect
February 11, 2014, 12:32pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
May take more  FOI requests if Nessie has gone    

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59568
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 3 - 96
Admin
February 11, 2014, 5:19pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Here's a little thought...

The 'Nessie expert' tells us there hasn't been a confirmed sighting for 18 months.

Shouldn't we actually be seeing MORE evidence nowdays, with everyone carrying phones equipped with digital cameras and video.

Is Nessie shy, or a technophobe?

Or, dare I say such a blasphemous thing, are we now seeing the truth?

Consider the number of meteor videos and pictures we have seen in the past year, particularly from Russia and America.

These events have never been captured in the volume and numbers seen recently - the events, when they happened, were usually over and done with by the time anyone lifted a camera, so it was eyewtiness stuff only.

Remember Thunderbirds, and Scott Tracy in TB1, complete with camera detector, and how he used to go shoot up The Hood whenever he ran some scheme to get pics of International Rescue's hardware.

Maybe Nessie has a camera detector, and only comes out when it says nobody's looking
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 4 - 96
Admin
February 19, 2014, 1:20am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
The good old Daily Mirror picked up on the lack of Nessie sighting, and practically declared her(?) dead.

Then spiced things up by adding a story suggesting that she had just popped off to Australia for a wee holiday.

Is Nessie DEAD? Legendary Loch Ness Monster has 'disappeared' for the first time in 90 years | Mail Online

Hmm....

November?

Could she have stowed away and hidden on barge for free cruise...

Or has absconded with:

Conman ‘sells mythical Loch Ness accommodation’ - The Scotsman

Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 5 - 96
WANLOCK
February 19, 2014, 2:32am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Enigma
Perhaps this may be the result of fewer individuals not imbibing large quantities of the 'cratur', has resulted in lack of sightings of the creature.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Skype Skype Reply: 6 - 96
Admin
March 31, 2014, 8:47am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Listen to her story:

Should I apologise in advance for the pronunciation used? (I'm sure the nice man means Loch Ness whenever he mentions Lock Ness.)

Well, it is an American, and having partaken of some spelling and pronunciation arguments with some of the natives, it seems that many of them think they invented 'English', and its Brits who mis-spell and mis-pronounce it.

Seriously... I've just come from one of the longest online arguments I've seen in quite along time, where a Brit was berated for spelling 'tire' as 'tyre' (the subject was a long burnout video) and told that Americans invented 'tires' and that 'tire' was the original and correct spelling of the word.

Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 7 - 96
Admin
April 1, 2014, 3:00pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
I told you she had gone for a holiday, and to get away from the nuisances trying to find her...

Now she's been kidnapped by Canadians!

Richard Hickey - Francis from Not To Scale on Vimeo.

The story of 'Francis' came about interestingly from famed radio show 'This American Life'. Broadcaster Ira Glass asked 6 American writers to create a short story about Adventure. One ofthese stories written by novelist and screenwriter Dave Eggars, it was read on the show to much acclaim and praise., Richard worked with producer Kevin Batten and a team to turn the words into this short. He worked on the film tirelessly and had 40 people work on all elements of the animation. The film has been shown atCannes Film Festival and Raindance.

Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 8 - 96
Admin
April 10, 2014, 10:54pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 9 - 96
FordPerfect
April 18, 2014, 12:24pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Well , it is a Bank Hol. and it is the  DM    

Nessie returns ,  should keep the ice-cream vendors happy at Loch side      

Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Satellite image on Apple's Maps software may finally have solved the mystery of Nessie | Mail Online

Best photographic evidence yet  ,      short of  waving a fin  at sceptics      
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 10 - 96
Admin
April 18, 2014, 1:19pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Did I hear anyone mention the suspicious timing of this discovery?

It's handy that it was revealed just at the start of season, and a dearth of any terrestrial sighting - but then again, I carry a card issued by the Cynic Society  

I think this should be the media's next project, to go fetch what they believe they see in various satellite images.

They should schedule it right after they recover and display the bomber they reported finding in a reservoir in the hills above Greenock a while ago.

Come to think of it...

Why haven't they published any more on this find that they splashed on their from pages?
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 11 - 96
Admin
April 22, 2014, 8:59pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
iGotcha!!!
Quoted Text
The Loch Ness monster presents one of the greatest mysteries of recent times. After all, who in their right mind would believe a great green beastie was lurking down at the bottom of a midge-ridden Scottish lake?

Now the answer has been revealed, after it emerged Apple fanbois can use their fondleslabs or iPhones to peer at this legendary monster.

We're all aware of the reality distortion field that turns ordinary Apple computers into the most covetable objects since the Holy Grail. But El Reg was hitherto unaware this effect could also turn a dark shadow on a lake into the mythical Loch Ness Monster.

According to reports over the weekend, Nessie popped up on Apple Maps – but no other mapping services.

Och aye! It's the Loch Ness Monster – but only Apple fanbois can see it • The Register
Quoted Text
Meanwhile, blogger Andrew David Thaler thoroughly dismantled the claims of a Nessie sighting:

1. The photographs in question were taken in January, 2005. They came from DigitalGlobe, which means they were either taken by the QuickBird satellite, or purchased from another company.

2.Satellites take pictures that are then stitched together, like when you take a panoramic picture with your phone.

3. Stitched photos aren’t perfect: if one picture has a boat that’s totally washed out and another picture is just blue water, then you’ll be left with the ghostly blue outline of a boat, which is clearly visible on the “Nessie” picture.

4. Both the boat in the northern picture [as shown on Thaler's blog] and the “ghost boat” in the monster picture are about 20 meters long. There are no 20-metre-long catfish. There are no whale sharks in Loch Ness. It’s a boat.

theyGotcha!

Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 12 - 96
Admin
April 23, 2014, 9:05am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 13 - 96
WM
April 23, 2014, 2:04pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Enigma
A little bit of cleaning up, and contrast ans sharpness boost on the "Nessie" image produces something which looks suspiciously like a boat or ship:

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 14 - 96
Admin
April 23, 2014, 11:10pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Actually...

Nessie IS dead - the poor lass died of shame when she heard that some wazzock by the name of Charlie Sheene had been asking for help in trying to find her
Quoted Text
Businesses in the Highlands have been offered free advice on how they can cash in on the Loch Ness Monster myth.

A free seminar, called Monster Marketing, will be hosted by the University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI) and tourism body VisitScotland.

One of the speakers will talk about how he was asked by US actor Charlie Sheen for help in finding Nessie.

Business seminar on cashing in on the Loch Ness Monster

On the other hand...

Maybe's she's just a smart wee cookie - and is staying out of sight until her cut of the take is improved.

In all seriousness, I think this is event appalling and embarrassing for Scotland, amounting to a blatant admission that business are out to organise and manage a con to fleece tourists out of their money t maximum effect on the basis of something that is a myth.

THEIR words, NOT mine.
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 15 - 96
Admin
April 25, 2014, 9:41pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Well...

The business seminar mentioned in the preceding post certainly produced quick results:
Quoted Text
A Buddhist group has proposed building a new international retreat on the shores of Loch Ness.

The group, Kagyu Samye, already has a monastery and centre at Eskdalemuir in Dumfriesshire.

Danish-born Gelongma Zangmo, Britain's first female lama, is involved with the Highland project.

She said Loch Ness offered the "required peace and tranquillity" for a Buddhist retreat. The group is assessing potential locations.

Buddhist group proposes Loch Ness retreat

Loch Ness monster is “spiritual” say Buddhists - The Scotsman
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 16 - 96
rickles23
April 26, 2014, 10:18am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Be lucky
Rumour
Hi all,

I was watching a report that 'Nessie' could be a sturgeon.

The largest generally accepted record was 1,571 kg (3,463 lb) and 7.2 m (24 ft). Several other records of aged sturgeon exceed 5 m (16 ft).

Mind you it is only a theory.

back in Vet College I did a final exam proving the 'Nessie' could not exist as there was/is only one of them.

Regards
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 17 - 96
Admin
May 1, 2014, 10:11pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Seems obvious to me...

If you can't get any new pics of Nessie - use old ones!
Quoted Text
RED-FACED Loch Ness cruise operators and their spin doctors have owned up to making a monster blunder.

Jacobite Cruises, via their public relations company Weber Shandwick, issued a press release this week along with a sonar printout purporting to show some mysterious object in the depths of Loch Ness.

Unfortunately the image, which was reproduced by the Highland News in good faith, was in fact, five years old.

The blunder was spotted by eagle-eyed Nessie fans from around the world who feared it could cast doubts over future sightings of Loch Ness’s most famous inhabitant, and drew it to our attention.

Weber Shandwick found itself in deep water when they realised the image they had released was the wrong one and had previously been featured in other publications.

This afternoon the prestigious Edinburgh-based PR company, which has an office in Inverness, admitted it had made a major boob and issued what it claimed was the "correct" sonar screen grab.

It is claimed the new image was captured east of Urquhart Castle last Sunday, although this has not yet been verified.

Weber Shandwick said the screenshot, recorded by sonar equipment aboard their vessel Jacobite Queen, will "cause fresh excitement among frustrated Nessie hunters" following more than a year without a sighting of the monster.

Coincidentally, the Jacobite Queen’s "sighting" was revealed just days after satellite images showing a mysterious object in the loch attracted worldwide attention, and which cynics say is indicative of the start of the tourist season.

"Nessie" sonar picture monster blunder | Highland News | News

Of course, I believe ALL if this without any reservations whatsoever.

And think that the fact that it all happened and Nessie sightings are suddenly being claimed by the tour operator that makes a living from such things, right at the start of the tourist season, is nothing more than a massive conspiracy coincidence (sorry both those words coincidentally start with 'co' and I meant to use the second one, but the first one came out for some unfathomable reason )

Sonar scan picks up ‘image’ of Loch Ness monster - The Scotsman
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 18 - 96
Admin
July 15, 2014, 8:42am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Anybody feeling charitable?

I've been trying to look at this article:

Scientist to discuss whether hunting Nessie is worthwhile | Press and Journal

Bet even though I don't access the Press and Journal web site, it refuses to let me see the article, claiming "You have reached your limit of free articles for the month. Subscribe today from as little as 99p."

I think not, or at least don't recall reading anything else there (unless they count access to any pubs in the group, then I would probably be guilty as charged) and they just want me cough up cash for access through their paywall. Not happening

If anybody can shed any light (on the Nessie story, not the extortion), would be nice
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 19 - 96
Admin
September 10, 2014, 7:50am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
I wonder if the arrival of the cameraphone, and sudden drop in Nessie sightings, heralds the end of an era and a myth.

The owners of famous bar which offers views for Loch Ness monster spotters are selling it with an asking price of £750,000.

Net turnover for the year ending March 31, 2014, was £847,322 according to the media.

It looks like an earner, but I wonder if the underlying trend is downward (since Nessie' left the room').

The current owners have had it for 5 years, but say “The business is doing particularly well at the moment. This lease is coming to a natural end. I just feel it is best placed for the business to be taken forward by an owner/occupier, or someone who is going to be hands on. I hope it is for someone who will make an investment in it and see it run for the next 50 years. The Dores Inn is so important to the community. I would like to see enough redevelopment to keep the business going, but I do not think it needs to be any bigger.”

In 2011, they were going to close it and build a new tourist attraction in its place.

That all makes my nose 'twitch' and think the deal is not as juicy as it looks.

If it was and I was the owner, I'd retire from it, install a manager, and become an absentee landlord

Loch Ness monster bar in Dores goes up for sale - The Scotsman
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 20 - 96
FordPerfect
September 11, 2014, 8:57pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Nessie has left the room  ,  better but wetter and ice free  

Loch Ness Monster 'relocated to England' in blow for 'Yes' vote | Mail Online
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 21 - 96
FordPerfect
October 27, 2014, 10:55am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 22 - 96
FordPerfect
October 27, 2014, 11:36am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 23 - 96
Admin
October 27, 2014, 1:06pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
No idea what the Press and Journal has to offer on this  

For some time, it has barred me from its site as follows, despite wording that suggests I can read up to 7 articles per month for free.

This message has never reset at the end of the month, and I have been looking at it for years now - every time I unwittingly click a story from that stable:
Quoted Text
5 articles read
You have now read 5 articles. As well as being able to comment and receive our daily newsletter, register now to access a further 2 articles - for a total of 7 articles per month free.

And it goes without saying that I won't register with a site that uses blackmail to force it.
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 24 - 96
FordPerfect
October 27, 2014, 1:20pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Similar write up , by  Bert Ovenstone  

Secret files have revealed Scotland’s fears of an English plot to kidnap the Loch Ness Monster and put the carcass on display at the Natural History Museum in London.

The documents show placing a bounty on Nessie’s head had made it a matter of national pride who ended up with the  remains – and that the Duke of Edinburgh had even suggested calling in the Royal Navy to search for the creature.

The Scottish Office opened a file on the monster in December 1933 in Edinburgh after being bombarded with inquiries from the Press.

But “Nessie Files” have also been found at the Natural History Museum in London. They show by 1934,  only a year after the first sightings on the loch, both the Natural History in Museum in London and the Royal Scottish Museum in Edinburgh wanted Nessie – dead or alive.

But while Scotland hoped that the bounty hunters could be kept at bay long enough to get new laws passed to protect the creature, London preferred it shot on sight.

In March 1934, an unnamed official at the National History Museum – responding to a question about the museum’s policy on Nessie – made no bones about how they thought bounty hunters should deal with the creature.

His message to them was very clear: “Should you ever come within range of the ‘Monster’ I hope you will not be deterred by any humanitarian considerations from shooting him on the spot and sending the carcass to us in cold storage, carriage forward.”

According to more files found in Edinburgh, pressure was already growing for a special Act of Parliament to prevent Nessie being killed or captured.
The campaign was led by Inverness MP Murdoch MacDonald who assured the Secretary of State Sir Godfrey Collins the creature was no myth.

“Evidence of its presence can be taken as undoubted. Far too many people have seen something abnormal to question its existence,” he wrote.

By 1962, Natural History Museum director Sir Terence Morrison-Scott had opened his own file on the phenomena.

Sir Terence was lukewarm on the whole idea and was concerned at what he called Tory MP David James’  “obsession with Nessie”.

Mr James had met Prince Philip to discuss his Loch Ness project earlier in 1962 – and the Duke encouraged him to contact the Royal Navy for assistance.

Sir Terence wrote: “He has spoken of his plans to the Duke of Edinburgh, tried to gain the support of Sir Solly Zuckerman (MoD’s Chief Scientific Advisor) and will no doubt continue to explore all high profile avenues.”
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 25 - 96
Admin
October 27, 2014, 2:04pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
I'll go along with the fun etc quite happily - without casting any stones... a scam or a con is only a scam or a con so long as somebody is being scammed or conned, so the Nessie story is a great tourist attraction, and of itself, harmless fun that keeps Scotland on the map.

But..

I do consider anyone that attempts to SERIOUSLY convince anyone that there is an actual creature swimming around Loch Ness to be a crook, a con artist, and a scammer.

From a purely scientific point of view, the chances are so slim of this being an actual creature that they dwindle to zero.

I don't have a problem with 'believers' splashing their own cash to mount investigations and prove the existence of a creature - but I do think the police/fraud division should actively investigate them and see where the money goes when they launch appeals and raise cash for investigations. No investigation or suchlike that shows where the cash goes - and the get a free "Go to jail" card!

There was an investigation/documentary aired by 'Quest' on Freeview a few weeks ago, and to be honest, I'm beginning to find these programmes sad rather than interesting nowadays.

In this case, someone who should know better, Philippe Cousteau Jr, (or does not want his father rotating at high speed in his grave) was talking as if he was convinced there was something there, despite every mission to find something coming up empty.

None of these searches have ever found anything, and only show what they find with so much spin on it that you are hard pressed to give them any credibility.

In fact, the ONLY thing that is being proven over the years is that every solid case is down to a hoaxer, as they slowly come out of the woodwork and reveal themselves.
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 26 - 96
WM
October 27, 2014, 4:51pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Enigma
I am reminded of Sir Peter Scott saying he believed in the monster, and giving it the scientific name "Nessiteras Rhombopteryx". This was taken seriously till someone discovered it was an anagram of "monster hoax by Sir Peter S" and he had probably been having a laugh all along!
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 27 - 96
Admin
April 2, 2015, 11:32am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
I suppose the qualifies, since it refers to Nessie, and sort of implies she's popped off for a short break in the Atlantic

An account from World War I, by a German U-Boat commander no less

This is a correct account, as the steamer Iberian was attacked by U-28 on 30 July 1915, just off the southern tip of Ireland, and sunk with the loss of 7 lives.

From this account, numerous fantasies appear to have been spawned in the minds of the imaginative, with some even managing to produce detailed artwork depicting the creature, from the sparse description given above.

Not only that, they have even managed to work out that this was not in fact a sea monster thrown up by the explosion, but was actually a creature being transported by the Iberian, and blown out of the vessel by the blast:

Unknown Explorers - U-28 Creature

And then there's more, with suggestion that the force of the blast was magnified due to the presence of some (mysterious?) explosive device being carried on Iberian:

U-28 ABOMINATION: (ATLANTIC OCEAN) | American Monsters

Even more mysteriously (and of course, suspiciously ) all but six of those who witnessed the creature (in)conveniently and inconsiderately died during the course of World War I.

No suggestion that the British killed them to silence them, and keep secret Britain's greatest ever 'secret weapon' developed in Loch Ness, and destroyed in a chance attack while it was being transported for sea trials in the Atlantic.

Will no-one reveal this great secret which the British Government has kept hidden from the people for 100 years?
Logged Offline
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 28 - 96
FordPerfect
April 18, 2015, 8:02pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 29 - 96
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 » All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

SeSco    Secret Scotland    Civilian  ›  Nessie has left the room

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread