Welcome, Guest.
It's September 1, 2014, 11:11am.
Please login or register.
Home Page Caledonian Stadium Irvine
SeSco    Secret Scotland    Civilian  ›  Caledonian Stadium Irvine Moderators: Admin
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 4 Guests

Caledonian Stadium Irvine  This thread currently has 2058 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
JadeFalcon
January 12, 2010, 7:14pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Enigma
Possibly worth a new thread, I remember there was a dog track in Irvine until fairly recently, but all trace of it is now gone.  It was 'behind', if that makes any sense, Bank Street and was on a large grass area near Quarry Road.  Perhaps I'll start the skeleton of an article as I don't know when it was built, when it was used or indeed the precise date when it was demolished except that it was within the last few years.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail ICQ ICQ Skype Skype
Apollo
January 12, 2010, 7:48pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Forewarned is Forearmed
Secret
The track is still "there" and can be seen in the Map Sandbox for the moment.
E-mail E-mail Reply: 1 - 9
Apollo
January 12, 2010, 7:57pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Forewarned is Forearmed
Secret
It may have been known as the Caledonian Stadium.
E-mail E-mail Reply: 2 - 9
JadeFalcon
January 12, 2010, 8:10pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Enigma
Ah, so I see, I should have mentioned that the stands and boundary fences etc, including lights and other stuff were still there till a few years ago, however, the 'route' of the track still seems semi-intact.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail ICQ ICQ Skype Skype Reply: 3 - 9
Apollo
January 12, 2010, 9:15pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Forewarned is Forearmed
Secret
The ground marks tie in with the recent loss off the hardware.

I haven't looked for any written history, so maybe someone can do the round of forums such as the Three Towns, and other Ayrshire haunts.

Just a note of the map data:

(:gma-point lat=55.6182110 lon=-4.6627173 :)
(:mlat:55.6182110:)(:mlon:-4.6627173:)(:mngr6:NS324392:)
(:gma-map :)

It might also be worth having a look at the location in Google Earth, and selecting the Timeline option - there may be slightly older pics there if the track was only cleared recently, and they might be visible.
E-mail E-mail Reply: 4 - 9
Apollo
January 12, 2010, 9:24pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Forewarned is Forearmed
Secret

Correction, in this case, Google Maps has imagery that does not come from Google Earth's 2205 or 2007 imagery!

First time I've actually seen this, as we usually refer to updates to Google Earth imagery being made first, then being "pushed" to Google Maps shortly afterwards.

I've always assumed this to be the case throughout, as I've never seen a difference where Maps imagery was not also to be found somewhere in Earth
E-mail E-mail Reply: 5 - 9
JadeFalcon
January 12, 2010, 9:27pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Enigma
Indeed the Google Map imagery is not up to date in some places.  To the west of the track there is the site of a supermarket and car park, this was a Safeways.  This has now closed, been demolished and a new Aldi unit put in its place, to the north end of the car park there were new retail units for a Halfords, Argos and Boots.  These are not visible.

It's the same with the retail park on the south end of Prestwick Airports southern perimeter, on the site of the old RAF Heathfield, while there are some retail park outlets there, a few years back there was a sizeable expansion with the siting of a new Asda, this has still not been updated.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail ICQ ICQ Skype Skype Reply: 6 - 9
The Fox
January 12, 2010, 10:14pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Have a look at the Irvine area pics show this area taken in 1946  (rcahms TARA Scotland Collection).   There must have been something of interest there in WWII.  The outline of the dog track is shown but not the other oval to the NW.   I cannot see anything else I recognise as WWII artefacts but I am sure the pics were taken for some reason and are not random.    I was going to ask JF if he knew anything about this area anyway.
E-mail E-mail Reply: 7 - 9
Apollo
January 12, 2010, 10:53pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Forewarned is Forearmed
Secret
The oval to the northwest of the stadium will be a modern running track - there appear to be games areas visible in the central area as shown on the modern aerial views, so it's probably an athletics park now.

A bowling club with two greens can also be seen to the north.

The area was probably just common grassland or grass back then, a wonder somebody did not plough it up and plant tatties (and neeps).

That said, the patterned area to the east looks as if it may have been used as allotments, so maybe there was some veg growing going on after all.

It looks as all the usual resources with stories and references are coming up dry on this one, so it really does look as if someone will have to plunge into the local area forums and see if anyone has anything to confirm the name of this stadium, and anything else that might appear.

There only appears to be one dog track listed in the historic records:

Auchinleck, Race Track: Alternative Names Greyhound Stadium
Site type DOG RACING TRACK
Canmore ID 204127

NGR NS 54557 22158

Architect: Duncan McCulloch. 1946. Greyhound Stadium for J. Crichton.

And that's all
E-mail E-mail Reply: 8 - 9
JadeFalcon
January 13, 2010, 12:09am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Enigma
Auchinleck, thats quite a distance away.  Apparently there's one in Ayr mind you,   Actually if you look a little southwest of the retail park in Heathfield, its clearly visible.

I know my Mum who originally came from Kilmarnock also said there was a greyhound track there, I get the idea it was in the vicinity of where the Johnnie Walker plant is now, or off Witch Road.  A quick search of that reveals little except a link to the private Institutes archives showing a 1964 entry for a Register of licensed tracks.

There seems to be little for Caledonian Stadium.  I have a number of books on Irvine history, the old one written about the Burgh to New Town that was on sale years back, the Stenlake book, one by local historian and Irvine resident Neil Stirrat and none mention the track.  In fact in these books practically no mention is made of that area of the town at all, the closest being the old George Cinema where the former DSS offices now stand in Bank Street.

I suspect that Apollo is correct that it was designated as a possible common ground when the housing round about was being built.  I'm personally surprised it hasn't been sold off for housing.

Regarding wartime artefacts, is it possible there was an AA battery there or an Observer corps post, unlikely as to the latter as apparently there was one of them in Irvine Beach Park.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail ICQ ICQ Skype Skype Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

SeSco    Secret Scotland    Civilian  ›  Caledonian Stadium Irvine

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread