Welcome, Guest.
It's May 23, 2017, 4:43pm.
Please login or register.
Home Page Garden of Cosmic Speculation
SeSco    Secret Scotland    Around the country  ›  Garden of Cosmic Speculation Moderators: Admin
Users Browsing Forum
Baidu Spider and 14 Guests

Garden of Cosmic Speculation  This thread currently has 114 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Admin
April 29, 2017, 11:08am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
I didn't get around to mentioning this place a while ago (then forgot about it - since it is only open one day per year), but was intrigued to see the BBC just picked up on it:

BBC - BBC Scotland - The Garden of Cosmic Speculation: The Dumfriesshire landscape that is out of this world

I can't see a date on this previous article which was the one I forgot about from a while back, but it gives location details:

Garden of Cosmic Speculation – Holywood, Scotland - Atlas Obscura

And its 'own' web site:

For the open day (for this year, 2017, Sunday 30 April))...

(I might add that this is apparently already 'Sold Out!)

Portrack, The Garden of Cosmic Speculation - Scotland's Gardens

Portrack House - 2017 Opening for Scotland's Gardens Tickets, Sun, 30 Apr 2017 at 11:00 | Eventbrite

Interesting about the 'Sold Out' aspect.

In my life, I only came across ONE of these single-day openings, at a 'Big House' near Doune.

By chance,  spotted a load of cars parked where there would normally never be any, the saw the sign on the gate, at the start of a long driveway I never realised was there (even though it had a huge gate with statues - but having seen it thousand of time in passing, it meant nothing so I never noticed it).

Huge garden hidden behind, a big house we didn't get near, but it even had its own chapel attached.

Unnamed owner by then, an Arab who like Scotland and had bought it so he spend a few days here each year - those few days did not come cheap, as he had restored the place, and maintained it like new.
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail
Admin
May 2, 2017, 9:39pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
What's the game with this 'Apology' nonsense we seem to have to endure when an event is successful and traffic jams are blamed on it?

The events are usually planned months in advance, notified, signed, sometimes even assisted by the police, yet the curse of 'social media' and an easy means of pouring spite on success means that the organisers dare not say "Tough, you were told the roads would be busy, you should have taken a different route if not attending'.

Yet this seem to be deemed necessary nowadays:
Quoted Text
Organisers have apologised to drivers who got stuck in traffic jams around an open garden event.

Police advised motorists to avoid the area around the Garden of Cosmic Speculation at Portrack north of Dumfries on Sunday.

Garden of Cosmic Speculation traffic delay apology issued - BBC News

This is probably the REAL reason RAF Leuchars was closed and given to the Army.

The whole of the surrounding area for miles around came to halt on the day of the Leuchars Air Show

Being coastal, the base could only be approached from the west, and of that approach the main road was via the Tay Bridge so that soon got choked, and then the east coat approach roads followed suit.

Not a word of apology was ever issued after a show weekend.

People are whiny wimps these days
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 1 - 1
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

SeSco    Secret Scotland    Around the country  ›  Garden of Cosmic Speculation

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread