Welcome, Guest.
It's May 23, 2017, 4:47pm.
Please login or register.
Home Page Clothing and charity bag collection scams
SeSco    Secret Scotland    Around the country  ›  Clothing and charity bag collection scams Moderators: Admin
Users Browsing Forum
Baidu Spider and 15 Guests

Clothing and charity bag collection scams  This thread currently has 244 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Admin
March 11, 2017, 3:40pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
I don't know if anyone else has tried this, but...

A few years ago I got pretty sick and tired of the endless stream of little plastic bags with big plastic bags in them - begging for my old clothes "For Charity"

This on top of the junk mail now addressed to 'The Householder' (or not at all) to get around legislation banning junk mail.

I don't know how fast the average household can fill a large bin bag with 'old' clothes, but the charity collection companies (claiming to collect on behalf of charities) think I should be filling one, on average, every two weeks or so.

When I tally up the count at the end of the year, I find around 25 of these begging bags have been shoved through my door.

It gets worse if you ever read the small print on those collection agency plastic bags - many just claim to create jobs overseas, while the typical figure, if given, is to donate £100 per tonne collected. And there are more complex variations.

One mob, which has shops you can leave stuff at has a GREAT DEAL... "We give £5 for ALL laptops, WORKING OR NOT!!!"

Anyway...

When the THIRD begging bag fell through my door this year, from the Throat Cancer lot, or rather 'Clothing Collection' and we were not even out of February
I 'flipped'.

Recalling this article:

The great charity bag rip-off: Some of the companies involved - Sunday Post

I contacted Throat Cancer Foundation and asked directly if they were still associated with Clothing Collection.

Sad to say...

NO REPLY after a week.

I'm saying NOTHING, just drawing my own conclusions.

And adding to the large and heavy box I have accumulated, full of free, large, plastic bags gifted to me, one every week or two, from various charities and their collection agencies.

I doubt there is much benefit for any charity using one of these collection agencies - maybe a few crumbs at best to give themselves an air of legitimacy, while the owners make fortune, and probably (given the non-specific hint at creating jobs overseas) support a thriving slave-labour rag trade.
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail
Tam Nugent
March 11, 2017, 9:29pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Mystery
I have lived in Eastern Europe for the past 11 years. Second hand clothes stores are fairly big business here, with most towns of any size having at least one, usually emblazoned with Union Jacks to show that their stuff comes from the UK.

Streetview of one in Prague https://goo.gl/maps/ierTnDvjyZC2
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 1 - 4
Admin
March 11, 2017, 10:59pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Quoted from Tam Nugent
fairly big business here

Wonder how their turnover per tonne compares to the £100/tonne the headline on the charity bags compares, while the collection agencies hide in small and barely readable print on the delivery envelope?

Probably worth adding that there's a new mode of operation used by some now.

The same plastic delivery envelope (with the charity name in big letters, and the collection agency and their 'take' in tiny letters) falls through the door, but...

No longer comes with a big plastic bag, just a card with more begging on it - and YOU have to provide/find/buy the plastic bag for them!

There used to be one lot that provided the bag, rolled up with the begging letter, and all held by a rubber band - so no delivery envelope needed.

But that particular lot disappeared a few years ago, and none of them do the rubber band thing now.

That 'foreign' second-hand shop looks just like the big well-known name charity and hospice shops seen in Glasgow.

I got this in one (and a 'funny' fiver - but that's too long a tale, and was also NOTHING to do with the shop, so I can't/won't say more):

This is an 'old' pic, and I have since realised the things around his ankles are actually his skateboarding kneepads, and should be higher and turned around to bring the pads to the front!

Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 2 - 4
Admin
March 15, 2017, 10:11am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Well, that just about confirms Throat Cancer, or of course, its collection agency, is running a clothes collection scam (or is really really really desperate).

This morning, 15 March, I just found the FOURTH begging bag had been pushed through my letterbox.

Not counting the others, that's FOUR collection requests from ONE organisation in THREE (actually 2.5) months.

As I said in opening, how much disacarded clothing do they think I have?

And don't forget my other point about this mob...

They do not actually even include the big plastic bag, so don't have that 'expense' compared to those they are trying to steal a lead on.

Anybody actually leaving them stuff has to SUPPLY THEIR OWN BAG TOO!

I wish...

I almost wish I could be bothered to make the effort to email them again

Just as an aside - this is SIXTH begging bag received so far this year... in 2.5 months!
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 3 - 4
Admin
March 15, 2017, 11:21am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
You may not believe this, but...

Two hours after the letterbox rattled and Throat Cancer's begging bag card for clothes was pushed through...

There was another rattle at the door

Yup - you guessed it.

ANOTHER Throat Cancer clothing begging request landed on my floor.

That makes TWO in one day...

And FIVE in 2.5 months.

Area Saturation Tactics!

I wouldn't mind so much, but as noted already, this mob don't even supply a free plastic bag, just a card begging for stuff and telling you to put it in a bag!
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

SeSco    Secret Scotland    Around the country  ›  Clothing and charity bag collection scams

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread