Welcome, Guest.
It's March 30, 2017, 10:33pm.
Please login or register.
Home Page Gruinard Island
SeSco    Wiki Discussions    Discussion Forum  ›  Gruinard Island Moderators: Admin
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

Gruinard Island  This thread currently has 418 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Admin
February 14, 2017, 11:13am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
A couple of recently noticed videos have been added to this page.

One is a fairly long film of events mainly from 1943 (tests started in 1942) with commentary, and is around 17 minutes and fairly detailed.

Unfortunately, much of the commentary has not survived, so some guesswork is required.

The other is a somewhat amusing (laughable?) 3 minute 'report' by an American video maker who visited the island in 2001 after was declared safe following the final decontamination exercise, and took a 'Hazardous Materials Expert' with him, to test the soil.

They wore full-face respirators and HAZMAT suits for their visit - possibly unaware that many people had (and have) visited the island, and none have dropped dead.

I've watched quite a lot of videos made from films shot back in the day, and it's interesting to note that a number of locals admitted visiting the island in the days when it was still officially classified as contaminated, and the signs were up warning people not to land there.

If you read about anthrax, you will find that we do have anthrax spores lying dormant in soil, as they probably were (and probably still are), but they are not airborne. In the past, it was common for farm workers to get anthrax infections from cuts and grazes, but unlike infection from airborne spores, this can be treated, and not normally fatal.

Getting the spores airborne (and keeping there long enough to cause iinfection) is not that simple, hence the tests that were carried out on the island.

And the use of 'cattle cake' laced with spores, rather than bombs, to infect Germany's livestock by deliberate ingestion, as might have been done.

Secret Scotland - Gruinard Island
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail
Admin
February 14, 2017, 12:53pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
I have added two 'new' old B&W images to the Gruinard page, pointed out and provided to me some time ago by someone who was interesting in discussing the place.

I've never been completely comfortable with these pics, they just ring 'alarm bells' whenever I look at them, and have added them to the page together with some of my own observations and thoughts about them.

I'd be grateful for anyone else's opinion on the pics in light of what I have said about them.
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 1 - 3
FordPerfect
February 14, 2017, 4:33pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Quoted from Admin
I have added two 'new' old B&W images to the Gruinard page, pointed out and provided to me some time ago by someone who was interesting in discussing the place.

I've never been completely comfortable with these pics, they just ring 'alarm bells' whenever I look at them, and have added them to the page together with some of my own observations and thoughts about them.

I'd be grateful for anyone else's opinion on the pics in light of what I have said about them.

The  B&W pics.  the background landscape may provide evidence of actual positioning on Gruinard , however the sign fonts just dont look right (a bit  DIY  )  even taking account that the pictures are not square on.

Seems a spoof  , somebody photographed the real signs from a boat , fatally flawed by siting them facing inland  -  basic error , they were more concerned about depicting the location next to sea  

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 2 - 3
Admin
February 14, 2017, 9:28pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
These are old, and I'd say the signs are ok, just suffering the effects of the pics being copied/digitised.

But I do agree the positioning is suspect - the perspective and angles 'jar', as do the two 'dummies' seen in one of the pics.

One of them is very bright, while the other is notably darker. It could be the light, it could be what they are wearing under their plastic bags, but it is just yet another discrepancy that add to the total.

I suspect we are looking at genuine 'cut & paste' editing of the old school variety ie paper photograph prints cut and pasted by hand, and blended by paintbrush.

I didn't want to go into too great a depth and degree of detail in the points raised on the Wiki page itself, but here I can add some more.

Your point about background and positioning is well made, I think.

The picture may not even have been taken ON Gruinard. While it is impossible to be sure without actually being there, I do have some pics of the island. Unfortunately, those pics do not show a lot of the island in the background, but it is definitely the same one in each (look at the shape of the woods on the hillside), and although there are decades separating that view from one taken today, there is a remarkably similar hillside with a fairly similar shape of wood in about the same place, visible in recent pic of Gruinard Island.

But I realise this is very subjective, and based on very few pics, and not a trip to the place itself to make the comparison.

There is one other aspect I deliberately did not mention.

The two pics are generally taken from the same place, within say a few metres, but are not merely the same pic.

The most notable common feature is a pipe running down the beach into the sea, mostly, but not completely, hidden behind the two 'dummies'.

A couple of aspects...

Gruinard Island was not sufficiently populated to make installing such a pipe reasonable, but if this was the mainland, with the island behind, then that kind of makes more sense.

But there is a problem, which can be see in the longer film I just added to the Wiki page,

Specifically, all the decontamination and washing facilities that were installed there for the anthrax tests.

These clearly produced lots of water, and this may have had drainage and sewage facilities installed to prevent the actual working areas becoming waterlogged, since the work took some time to complete, and decontamination and toilet facilities would have been in constant use.
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

SeSco    Wiki Discussions    Discussion Forum  ›  Gruinard Island

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread