Welcome, Guest.
It's March 30, 2017, 10:32pm.
Please login or register.
Home Page Glasgow Tower
SeSco    Wiki Discussions    Discussion Forum  ›  Glasgow Tower Moderators: Admin
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

Glasgow Tower  This thread currently has 1769 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Admin
July 9, 2014, 12:53am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Been trying since 2001, but other than make Glasgow look silly, the Glasgow Tower has failed to stay open or operate for any significant time.

It's now set to try and open again, with Saturday 19 July 2014 being the date set for the fun to start again.

Optimistically, it also has a season closing date scheduled, for 2 November 2014.

Will it stay open until then, or will it be closed down before getting there?
Quoted Text
The Glasgow Science Centre tower is to reopen on 19 July, almost four years after visitors were last allowed up it.

The 127m (416ft) rotating tower has been plagued by problems since it opened in 2001 and has been closed for more than 80% of its life.

The Science Centre said the £10m structure had undergone a £1.8m revamp with repairs to the thrust bearing and replacement of the existing lifts.

Trips to the 105-metre high viewing cabin will cost £4.95.

The tower will remain open for the rest of Science Centre's summer season before closing on 2 November for the winter.

Glasgow Science Centre tower to reopen on 19 July

I have to confess that while I usually like this sort of 'attraction', I never managed to find any enthusiasm for this project - either when it was merely a proposal, or after it was built (I won't say completed, since that status is perhaps still debatable).

The idea of a tiny viewing gallery that a lucky few could only get access to via a lift (a single lift, which also severely limits the number of visitors, and how long they can stay up there) just struck me as being nothing more than a gimmick, probably used to sell the idea of having the Guinness World Record for the tallest fully rotating freestanding structure in the world and now being the tallest freestanding structure in Scotland (until something else takes the title).

It seems a pretty poor result, all the more so if it has to shut for the winter, just when it could give access to some of the best views of the hills surrounding Glasgow.
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail
FordPerfect
September 16, 2014, 9:44pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Secret
Middlesbrough transporter bridge - getting a  "vista" lift ,  seems to be a mast type builders platform hoist with posh car  

107-year-old dream becomes reality at famous landmark (From The Northern Echo)

About  1960 , my sister & I did the climb crossing ,  ISTR the the cost was  1d   ,  the gondola must have cost 3d or  6d  - plenty of shipyard workers did the climb crossing ,  then it was closed as getting too many jumpers  

Heritage (lottery) tourism getting everywhere - even the Boro'    
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Reply: 1 - 3
Admin
September 16, 2014, 11:02pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Nice...

Hadn't heard that is was closed off for jumpers.

It's not that big, so if this was a problem, I'm a little surprised they didn't didn't install the usual measures, nets or whatever suits the structure.

For comparison, I notice that some new 'high' attractions in Russia (or former Russia) have been reviewed recently by tourism writers, noting the lack of such features, but also that nobody seems to be using them for that purpose even so.

Maybe just a matter of time
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 2 - 3
Admin
September 28, 2014, 2:16am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Ctrl-Alt-Del-Aye-Right!
Secret
Glasgow's favourite vanity project took another body blow, after it was announced that 7 of the 15 towers supporting turbines in the Middle Muir Wind Farm in South Lanarkshire will reach to a height of 152 metres (500 ft).

Glasgow councillors' pokey little stick is a mere 127 metres.

They really didn't think this one through very well, and their plan to take the record when the Inverkip Power Station chimney was demolished and gain brownie points for this otherwise useless embarrassment was as doomed as its success as an attraction for the past 13 years.

Wind turbines to be tallest Scottish structures - The Scotsman

Then again, maybe it IS a success...

Everybody knows what it is, and enjoys pointing at it and laughing - then crying when the realise they paid for it (if they're from Glasgow).
Logged Online
Site Site E-mail E-mail Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

SeSco    Wiki Discussions    Discussion Forum  ›  Glasgow Tower

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread